News & Events
PE Teachers of the Future
On Dec 1, UCC School of Education held a fun filled Sports Studies and Physical Education Junior Teacher Camp. Students from 5 schools around Cork and Waterford attended this camp.
The SSPE Junior Teacher Camp is a free one day camp at UCC for students entering 4th, 5th and 6th year that might be interested in becoming PE teachers. Students from the following target groups were invited to join in the camp;
- Students with a disability
- Students from the Irish Traveller community
- Students from other ethnic minorities
- Students from target socio-economic groups
- Mature students
- Students who are lone parents
The camp included:
Sports activities at the Mardyke Arena
- These facilities are used for a lot of the classes that happen in our BEd Sports Studies and Physical Education Programme. So we felt it was appropriate to invite the students to play Basketball, Badminton and Team Challenges at the Sports Complex. As part of these activities, students were introduced to some of the planning that goes into creating PE classes and were told about the training that UCC SSPE student teachers get in creating lesson plans. Students were also treated to a demonstration by the UCC Fencing Club.
- When studying to become a PE teacher at UCC students also learn to teach a second subject. The options here include; Irish, English , Maths, French and History. Students were treated to fun tasters in each of these subjects.
- One of the highlights of the SSPE taster was a 5 minute video showing the fun and games enjoyed by the first year SSPE students at an outdoor pursuits centre.
A panel discussion with 5 current SSPE students about their journey into the SSPE programme
- Some students commented that this session opened up other pathways into the SSPE programme for them. Four of the five students that presented their journey into the SSPE programme had entered through the FETAC route. While they were all glad of this route some of them emphasised the ways in which doing the FETAC programmes helped to better prepare them for the SSPE programme.
Check out some of the fun in our event gallery!
For more on this story contact: