- About the EDI Unit
- News & Events
- Understanding the Equal Status Grounds
- EDI Policies & Regulations
- EDI Implementation at UCC
- EDI Unit Projects
- Gender Identity and Expression
- University of Sanctuary
- Athena SWAN
- IUA Equality Network
- Staff and Student Training and Development
- UCC Diversity Calendar
- Further Links
Thursday 8th March
Workshops for Second-level Students
Student Society-led workshops from two Cork girls' secondary schools in Computer Science, Chemistry, Engineering and Biology.
These workshops will give the students a hands-on experience in these various STEM streams, so that students can consider them for third-level education with a good level of certainty.
President's Athena SWAN Symposium (Devere Hall, 14:00)
The inaugural annual President's Athena SWAN Alumni Symposium on March 8th, International Women’s Day, March 8th, Devere Hall, 2 – 5 p.m. (followed by wine & cheese reception).
o The aim of the symposium is to consider achievements and challenges in improving equality on campus and beyond.
o For the inaugural symposium, we will consider two broad themes:
- Practical challenges/opportunities in changing organisational culture to promote equality, focussing particularly on improving the representation of underrepresented groups (including women) in the workplace.
- Improving access to education (including STEMM disciplines) for underrepresented groups, including women
o Keynote speakers (both UCC alumni):
- Dr. Caitriona Ni Laoire, Lecturer in Applied Social Studies, UCC; Deputy Director, ISS21; previously PI on the GENOVATE and Through the Glass Ceilingprojects.
- Prof. LindaDoyle, VP of Research and Professor of Engineering and the Arts, TCD. Director and PI, CONNECT Project.
o Panellists who will participate in two moderated, roundtable discussions include –
- Dr. Pamela Byrne, CEO, Food Safety Authority of Ireland
- Louise Buckley, Director Channel Sales Strategy, Planning & Operations, DELL EMC
- Dr. Victoria Showunmi, Senior Lecturer, Maynooth University School of Education (pre-recorded comments)
- Dr. Susan Steele, Chair, Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority
- Ms. Una Buckley, Planning and Operations Director at DELL EMC, Cork
- Ms. Brigid Carmody, Coordinator, Cork Traveller Women's Network
See here for running order information on speakers: President's Athena SWAN Alumni Symposium Programme
CANCELLED What UCC's University of Sanctuary status means (Boole 3, 18:00)
UCC SU and the STAR Society will be holding a talk on how UCC became a University of Sanctuary and how we will move forward with it. Isaac McNamara and Dr. Karl Kitching will be speaking. Isaac will talk about the work done by the STAR Society and how they helped us become a University of Sanctuary and Karl will talk about how the University will go forward with this new initiative!
POSTPONED Launch of EPONA
Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, the launch of E.P.O.N.A. (Equal Physics Opportunities Network in Academia) was postponed. It was subsequently launched on March 22nd.