- About the EDI Unit
- News & Events
- Equality Committee
- Understanding the Equal Status Grounds
- Equality & Covid-19
- EDI Policies & Regulations
- EDI Landscape at UCC
- EDI Unit Projects
- Gender Identity and Expression
- University of Sanctuary
- Staff and Student Training and Development
- Further Links
- UCC Diversity Calendar
Event Details (EW2020)
This year's symposium will focus on the theme "Athena SWAN - Five Years On" and will be an exploration of Athena SWAN in Ireland as an equality initiative since its commencement in Ireland in 2015.
To open the symposium, Chairs of Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Teams (SAT) from three academic units (BEES, BIS & Public Health), which have engaged with Athena SWAN, will give short presentations on their experience with the initiative. There will be time for Q&A at the end of this session.
Following this we are very excited to have with us keynote speaker Professor Maria Tsouroufli, from Brunel University, a professor in Education with a special interest in, among other areas, social justice with a focus on gender inequalities in education and professions, and contributor to "Certifying Equality? Critical Reflections on Athena SWAN and equality accreditation".
Part of the event again this will be the formal presentations for the 2019 Narratives of Equality winners and finally we will welcome UCC President Patrick O'Shea to present the 2020 Athena SWAN Equality Award, which this year will go to Dr Naomi Masheti. We are delighted to be able to acknowledge her work in this way.
- 1:45 Open doors
- 2:00-3:00 – presentations by AS departments
- Dr Pat Meere (BEES) 2:00-2:15
- Dr Ciara Heavin (BIS) 2:15-2:30
- Professor Patricia Kearney (PH) 2:30-2:45
- Q&A (10-15 minutes)
- 3:00-3:20 Coffee break
- 3:20-4:45 Keynote speaker, Professor Maria Tsouroufli, Brunel University Keynote presentation 2020 (ppt)
- 4:45-5:00 Refreshments
- 5:00-6:00 President’s speech followed by awards ceremony
Free - all welcome. Organised by EDI Unit