Q. How would I register with the Disability Support Service?

A. A student must hand in a consultant's verification to the DSS and complete our registration form. If a student has a Specific Learning Difficulty such as Dyslexia or DCD, he/she must submit an Educational Psychologist Report/Occupational Therapist Report and complete our registration form

Q. What supports can I avail of in the Disability Support Service?

A. Depending on the nature of the disability and a needs assessment, there are a number of services and supports that the student can avail of. These include:

  • Note taking/Tutor Support
  • Alternative Exam Arrangements (extra time, scribe, separate room, etc.)
  • Dyslexia Support
  • Assistive Technology Assessment and Training
  • Texts in Alternative Formats

Q. How do I apply for funding to support my needs as a student with a disability?

A. If you make an appointment with the Disability Support Service, a member of staff will do a needs assessment and submit an application for funding to the National Access Office on your behalf.

Q. How do I get an assessment for Dyslexia?

A. A student must complete the Dyslexia Screening Application Form. Forms can be collected from the Disability Support Service. For more informaiton Specific Learning Difficulty Screening Programme

Q. I am an International Student, can I register with the Disability Support Service?

A. If you are a student from outside the EU you must apply through the International Education Office, UCC.  You should contact the UCC Disability Support Service before you arrive, so we can advise you on the type of support available. You should register with the Disability Support Service as soon as you arrive in UCC.  You will need to bring a copy of your disability documentation from your home university.  A letter listing your exam accommodations is not sufficient. Please note reasonable accommodations that apply in your home country may not be applicable in UCC.

Q. Is there someone I could meet to discuss financial matters/difficulties?

A. Yes, UCC has a Student Budgeting Advise Service. For more information please visit http://www.ucc.ie/en/studentbudget/ 

Disability Support Service

Seirbhís Tacaíochta do Dhaoine faoi Mhíchumas

South Lodge, UCC, College Road, Cork