The Crawford Observatory dates from 1880. The University acquired the Observatory through the generosity of several benefactors. One of them, William Crawford, contributed £1,000 towards its construction and the purchase of astronomical instruments. Indeed, Crawford was also to contribute to the buildings of Berkeley Hall, known as the Honan Hostel. He also gave a substantial amount towards the construction of the entrance on Western Road.
The Observatory houses an equatorial telescope, one for which Howard Grubb, who made it, received a Gold Medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1900. The Observatory also contains a Ciderostatic telescope and Spectroscope.