Canvas is a world-class virtual learning environment used by over 3,000 institutions globally, and is used daily by over 20,000 of our staff and students. There are some steps you need to take to use Canvas for your teaching:
- Ensure you can access all of your modules on Canvas as a Teacher.
- Ensure your students can access of their modules on Canvas as a Student.
NB: Before attending any training session, please ensure that you can log-in at canvas.ucc.ie using your UCC credentials. If you cannot sign-in, please contact email@example.com. The Canvas trainer will not be able to solve this for you during the training.
Summer Schedule 2020
To register for any of the below sessions, please complete the form in the link at the top of the page. Spaces are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- New Quizzes | Thursday, June 18th | Recording available here
- Classic Quizzes | Thursday, June 25th | Recording available here
- Assignment Rubrics | Thursday, July 2nd | Recording available here
- Important Course Settings | Thursday, July 9th | 10:30am-11:30am
- This one-hour session will look at some of the hidden settings that can make a big difference to the student-view when delivering content and exams. This is a Canvas Live Event, meaning there is no registration required.
- How to make your own Course Landing Page | Thursday, July 16th | 10:30am-12pm FULLY BOOKED
- For this session, you will be asked to bring your own content i.e pictures and course descriptions. The instructor will give a short demo, followed by hands-on practice by the participants who can then showcase what they have made in breakout sessions.
- Canvas and Panopto | Thursday, July 23rd | 10:30am-12pm
- Session details + registration to be announced shortly.
- Accessibility | Wednesday, July 29th | 12pm-1pm
- This collaborative session between The Centre for Digital Education and The Disability Support Service will look at how to optimise your Canvas course so that it's accessible to all students. This session is part of the CDE Teach Digi series, and no registration is required.
- Discussion Boards | Thursday, August 6th | 10:30am-12pm FULLY BOOKED
- In this hands-on session, participants will work together to contribute to Discussion Boards in Canvas. The instructor will begin the session with a demo on how-to create these, participants will then be split into breakout rooms where they can work together to contribute to Discussion Boards. The nuances of the Discussion Board preview, both from the main course page and from group pages will be explored.
- Groupwork in Canvas | Thursday, August 13th | 10:30am-12pm FULLY BOOKED
- Participants will work together using the Groups dashboard in Canvas to complete tasks and experience this feature from the point-of-view of the student. The set-up of the groups at the start of the session will be carried out by a volunteer, with very little input from the trainer. This is an experiential session and will prove very interactive for the participants.
Should a school/department/unit seek an online training session, this can be accommodated using Microsoft Teams.
Please complete this form if you'd like to request a session.
In addition to the Canvas Training sessions, a number of other supports have been put in place for staff:
- The Help icon on your Canvas menu gives access to 24/7 Canvas Support, as well as detailed how-to Guides.
- The Learning Technologies Unit assist with UCC-related queries such as course enrolments.
- Should you have any queries on Canvas Training please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is also a Staff Orientation course available within your Canvas Courses.
A full version of the UCC Canvas Training can be viewed here:
Navigation: 00:00 - 10:22
Course Homepage: 10:22 - 20:14
Files Area: 20:14 - 24:01
Pages: 24:01 - 34:34
Creating an Assignment: 34:34 - 45:20
Gradebook Settings: 45:20 - 48:40
Speedgrader: 48:40 - 53:45
Posting Grades: 53:45 - 55:51
Content Rollover: 55:51 - End
Finally, a reminder that details on why and how UCC has decided to move from Blackboard to Canvas this year can be found on the recording of the formal Canvas launch on February 25th.