Dr. Elena Gomez
Dr. E. Gomez Alvarez is a MSCA Fellow of the European project (H2020-751527-MOCHA-MSCA). This research project aims at the characterisation of key chemical species and processes leading to anthropogenic secondary organic aerosol (SOA) formation, in particular of organic aerosols in ambient urban air using novel analytical instrumentation, i.e., FIGAERO-TOF-CIMS (Univ. Cork, Ireland) and UHRMS (Univ. Cambridge, UK). Dr. Gomez Alvarez is also Associate Professor of Analytical Chemistry (University CEU-San Pablo, Moncada, Valencia, Spain).
Dr. E. Gomez Alvarez has thirteen years of experience in the area of Atmospheric Chemistry. She has been a Junior Scientist at the Atmospheric Simulation Chambers EUPHORE (2002-2010) (Valencia, Spain). She has participated in over 50 scientific campaigns in different atmospheric simulation chambers at the frontline in the most innovative research topics in the field of Atmospheric Science and Climate Change.
Her previous Post-doctoral position was based at the Laboratoire Chimie de l'Environnement (LCE), Aix-Marseille Université, France (2010-2014) where she initiated a line of research on Indoor Air Quality. This position made her an expert in heterogeneous processes in indoor environments. She was first author of a landmark paper published in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS), published in 2013.
She is first author on eleven peer-reviewed publications and contributory author on eight others. She has contributed to twenty Proceedings, including two as first author. She has been directly involved in fifteen oral presentations at International Conferences, including six as first-author, and contributed to over thirty poster presentations at International Conferences. She has been invited to participate in six seminars in Ireland, France, Spain, Ukraine and USA. She has participated in thirteen research grants funded by Spanish, French and European Union funding sources. She has delivered training on five courses and been involved in the supervision of ten BSc/MSc students’ research projects. She has played an essential role in Communication, Outreach and Dissemination Activities, in each of her previous roles.
Atmospheric degradation of anthropogenic emissions
Mechanisms of formation of nitrous acid
NO2 chemistry and kinetics
Development of analytical techniques for determination of labile atmospheric intermediates
Publications in Peer-Review Scientific Journals
- Gandolfo, A., Gligorovski, V., Bartolomei, V., Tlili, S., Gómez Alvarez, E., Wortham, H., Kleffmann, J., Gligorovski, S. Spectrally resolved actinic flux and photolysis frequencies of key species within an indoor environment. Building and Environment 109 (15 November 2016) 50-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2016.08.026.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Bartolomei, V., Wittmer, J.,·Tlili, S., Strekowski, R.,·Temime-Roussel, B.,· Quivet, E., Wortham, H.,· Zetzsch, C.,· Kleffmann, J.,·Gligorovski, S. 2015.·Combustion Processes as a Source of High Levels of Indoor Hydroxyl Radicals through the Photolysis of Nitrous Acid. Environmental Science & Technology 49(11), 6599-6607. DOI:10.1021/acs.est,5b01905. Journal Impact Factor: 33. No. citations: 5
- Gandolfo, A., Bartolomei, V., Gómez Alvarez, E., Tlili, S., Gligorovski, S., Kleffmann, J., Wortham, H. 2015. The Effectiveness of Indoor Photocatalytic Paints on NOx and HONO levels Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 166-167, 84-90. Journal Impact Factor:44. No. citations: 8.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Sörgel, M., Gligorovski, S., Bassil, S., Bartolomei, V. Zetzsch, C., Wortham, H. 2014. Light-induced nitrous acid (HONO) production from NO2 heterogeneous reactions on household chemicals. Atmospheric Environment 95, 391-399. 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.06.034. Journal Impact Factor:28. No. citations: 9.
- Bartolomei, V. Sörgel, M., Gligorovski, S., Gómez Alvarez, E., Gandolfo, A. Strekowski, R., Quivet, E., Held, A., Zetzsch, C., Wortham, H. 2014. Formation of indoor nitrous acid (HONO) by light-induced NO2 heterogeneous reactions with white wall paint, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 21: 9259-9269doi: 10.1007/s11356-014-2836-5, 2014. Journal Impact Factor: 2.83. citations: 10.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Amedro, D., Afif, , Gligorovski, S., Schoemaecker, C., Fittschen, C., Doussin, J.F., Wortham, H. 2013. Unexpectedly high indoor hydroxyl radical concentrations associated with nitrous acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110 (33), 13294-13299. Journal Impact Factor: 9.67. No. citations: 25.
- Tlili, S., Gómez Alvarez, E., Gligorovski, S., Wortham, H. 2012. Adsorption behaviour of two model airborne organic contaminants on wafer surfaces. The Chemical Engineering Journal 187, 239-247, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.cej.2012.01.067. Journal Impact Factor:32. No. citations: 9.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Wortham, H., Strekowski, R., Zetzsch, C., Gligorovski, S. 2012. Atmospheric photosensitized heterogeneous and multiphase reactions: From outdoors to indoors. Feature Article, Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 1955-1962. Journal Impact Factor: 33. No. citations: 23.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Vázquez Moreno, M., Jarvie, H., Valcárcel, M. 2012. Characterisation of active sampling solid phase microextraction applied to sensitive determination of relevant compounds of atmospheric impact. Talanta, 88 (15), 252–258. doi:10.1016/j.talanta.2011.10.039. Journal Impact Factor: 55. No. citations: 8.
- Net, S., Gómez Alvarez, E., Gligorovski, S., Wortham, H. 2011. Heterogeneous reactions of ozone with methoxyphenols, in presence and absence of light. Atmospheric Environment 45, 3007-3014. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.03.026. Journal Impact Factor: 28. No. citations: 17.
- Net, S. Gómez Alvarez, E. Balzer, N. Wortham, H. Zetzsch, C. Gligorovski; S. 2010. Photolysis and Heterogeneous Reaction of Coniferyl Aldehyde Adsorbed on Silica Particles with Ozone. ChemPhysChem. Special Issue: Atmospheric Chemistry 11(18), 4019-4027. DOI: 10.1002/cphc.201000446. Journal Impact Factor: 42. No. citations: 6.
- Gómez Alvarez, E. Borrás, E. Viidanoja, J. Hjorth, J. 2009. Dicarbonylic products from the OH-initiated photo-oxidation of furan, 2-methylfuran and 3-methylfuran. Atmospheric Environment 43, 1603-1612, DOI information: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.12.019. Journal Impact Factor: 28. No. citations: 28.
- Gómez Alvarez, E. and Valcárcel, M. 2009. Research into conditions of quantitivity in the determination of carboniles in complex air matrices by adsorptive solid phase microextraction. Talanta 77, 1444-1453. DOI information: 10.1016/j.talanta.2008.09.044. Journal Impact Factor: 55. No. citations: 7.
- Apel, E.C., Brauers, T., Koppmann, R., Tillmann, R., Holzke, C., Wegener, R., Boßmeyer, J., Brunner, A., Ruuskanen, T., Jocher, M., Spirig, C., Steinbrecher, R., Meier, R., Steigner, D., Gómez Alvarez, E., Müller, K., Solomon, S.J., Schade, G., Young, D., Simmonds, P., Hopkins, J.R., Lewis, A.C., Legreid, G., Wisthaler, A., Hansel, A., Blake, R., Wyche, K., Ellis, A., Monks, P.S. 2008. Intercomparison of oxygenated volatile organic compound (OVOC) measurements at the SAPHIR atmosphere simulation chamber. Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, D20307. Doi:10.1029/2008JD009865. Journal Impact Factor: 43. No. citations: 45.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Vazquez, M., Muñoz, A., Hjorth, J., Pilling, M., Saathoff, H., Brauers, T. 2007. The EUROCHAMP chamber experiment database: Goals and Uses. Present and future potential benefits. The NATO Science for Peace and Security Programme. Proceedings of the NATO ADVANCED RESEARCH Workshop Simulation and Assessment of Chemical Processes in a Multiphase Environment, pp. 71-82. Publisher: Springer. ISBN 978-1-4020-8845-2.
- Muñoz, A. and Gómez Alvarez, E. Overview of the EUROCHAMP Database of European Atmosphere Simulation Chambers. The NATO Science for Peace and Security Programme. Proceedings of the NATO ADVANCED RESEARCH Workshop Simulation and Assessment of Chemical Processes in a Multiphase Environment, pp. 61-70. Publisher: Springer. ISBN 978-1-4020-8845-2. No. citations: 2
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Viidanoja, J., Muñoz, A., Wirtz, K. and Hjorth, J. 2007. Experimental Confirmation of the Dicarbonyl Route in the photo-oxidation of toluene and benzene. Environmental Science and Technology 41, 8362-8369. Journal Impact Factor: 33. No. citations: 36.
- Gómez Alvarez, E. Characterisation of absorptive sampling with SPME fibres in the EUPHORE photo-reactor. Talanta 72, 5, 1757-1766. DOI: 10.1016/j.talanta.2007.02.013. Journal Impact Factor: 3.55. No. citations: 3.
- Gómez Alvarez, E., Luque Pérez, E., Ríos, A., Valcárcel, M. 1999. Flow injection spectrophotometric determination of lactic acid in milk based on a photochemical reaction. Talanta 50, 121-131. Journal Impact Factor: 55. No. citations: 4.