Course Code: CPD1608
Course Title: Summer School for Visiting Lecturers 2017
College: Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences
Duration: 4 Weeks
Modes: Seminars and workshops
Venues: Council Room, North Wing and Mary Ryan Meeting Room, O'Rahilly Building
NFQ Level: N/A
Closing Date: 12th June 2017
Next Intake: Summer 2018
Higher Education staff around the world are invited to travel to Cork to participate in the Programme for Visiting Lecturers. This innovative programme combines support for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education with English language development, as well as offering participants the opportunity to enjoy UCC campus life and Irish culture.
The themes of the programme include:
• Teaching places, Learning spaces.
• Learning how to learn: Implications for how we teach.
• Different folks, different strokes; multiple intelligences theory – what every teacher should know.
• Assessment: Assidere – sitting beside the student.
• Reflection: The case for the scholar as reflective practitioner.
UCC is currently taking registrations for its month-long summer school, with further details on other programme options in the Course Details section below.
The Teaching and Learning programme provides an overview of the key theories of teaching, learning and assessment in higher education. It is grounded in the work of two major US drivers of contemporary theory and practice in teaching and learning, i.e. the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, and the Project Zero Classroom at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Such influences, coupled with local commitment to teaching and learning at UCC, make the programme the longest running and most successful in Ireland and celebrated internationally (see news item).
The language programme is comprised of a placement test, integrated English language classes to support language acquisition, and bespoke English language classes aligned with the content of the Teaching and Learning programme.
For further details see https://www.ucc.ie/en/cirtl/vissch/
Participants can also avail of the following options
- A year long programme which runs September-May.
- A three or six month programme during the University’s semesterised year. The three month option runs September-December or January-March. The six month option runs September-March.
- A concentrated version of the programme is available as a Summer School option from mid July-mid August.
- Shorter bespoke programmes can be designed on request.
If you would like further information on any of the options listed above, please contact the Centre for Integrated Research, Teaching and Learning (contact details below).
Included in the registration fee for this programme:
- Opening and Closing ceremony for participants
- Access to library and Mardyke arena
- Participation in Social Programme
- Refreshments during Teaching and Learning workshops