Social Media and Children: Challenges for Professionals
5 hours Registration 9:30am Starts at 10:00am and finished at 4:00pm Includes break for lunch
Cert of Attendance
€70 Early Bird until 27th April €85 from 28th April See Fees and Costs for full details.
Aimed any professionals working with children. See Requirements for full details.
13th May 2018
Professional Accrediting Body
Approved for CPD by the Irish Association of Social Workers Approved by the Psychological Society of Ireland for 4 CPD credits
16th May 2018
This one-day event is aimed at social workers, psychologists, youth workers, club leaders, sports coaches or any other professionals working with children.
Topics covered will include:
Introduction to Social Media (e.g. social networking sites, social messaging apps, video streaming sites)
- What is popular among Irish children
- What are the challenges for organisations/professionals (e.g. online pressures, sexting, happy-slapping, snapchat streaks, mental health issues, screen-time)
- How can organisations/professionals discuss safe use of social media with children
- Resources for use with children
Introduction to Cyber-bullying
- Forms of Cyber-bullying currently experienced by Irish children (e.g. fraping, outing, sub-tweeting)
- The role of the bystander
- How to identify cyber-bullying
- How to deal with cyber-bullying cases
Legal Aspects & Acceptable Use Policies/Anti-Bullying Policies
- Irish law regarding online activities
- Organisation Policies (e.g. AUP, Anti-Bullying, Code of Behaviour)
- Additional aspects that should be incorporated & implementation of policies
Question & Answer Session
This event has been accredited by the Irish Association of Social Workers (IASW)
PSI members attending this event will earn 4 Credits
Who teaches this course
MGMS Training was founded by Dr. Maureen Griffin B.A. M.A. Ph.D., a forensic psychologist. Maureen specialised in the area of online offending and recognised the need for education/training for children and those responsible for their care and protection.
Since its foundation in 2010, Maureen has visited over 600 primary and secondary schools across Ireland; worked with organisations responsible for the care and protection of children; provided training in relation to online offending behaviours for those working with offenders and delivered lectures on Forensic Psychology and Criminal Behaviour Courses in Universities across Ireland.
Feedback from participants on the last Social Media workshop
‘It was a very helpful session and allowed space to think about how it can be applied to my work and organisation’
‘Quite an education’
‘I thoroughly enjoyed the content, delivery and information; Dr. Griffin is obviously at the coalface of current practice.
‘the content was excellent’
Aimed at social workers, psychologists, youth workers, club leaders, sports coaches or any other professionals working with children.
Fees and Costs
€70 Early Bird until 27th April
€85 from 28th April
Includes lunch and refreshments on arrival.
How Do I Apply
You can register now by using the APPLY NOW button below.Apply Now