Neurogastroenterology recent publications
- Drugs, genes and the blues: Pharmacogenetics of the antidepressant response from mouse to man Review Article. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Available online 24 October 2013. Olivia F. O'Leary, Fionn E. O'Brien, Richard M. O'Connor, John F. Cryan
- Gut microbiota modulation and implications for host health: dietary strategies to influence the gut-brain axis Review Article. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, Available online 9 November 2013. Tatiana Milena Marques, John F. Cryan, Fergus Shanahan, Gerald F. Fitzgerald, R. Paul Ross, Timothy G. Dinan, Catherine Stanton
- Adult siRNA-induced knockdown of mGlu7 receptors reduces anxiety in the mouse Original Research Article Neuropharmacology, Volume 72, September 2013, Pages 66-73
Richard M. O'Connor, Deepak R. Thakker, Markus Schmutz, Herman van der Putten, Daniel Hoyer, Peter J. Flor, John F. Cryan
- Activation but not blockade of GABAB receptors during early-life alters anxiety in adulthood in BALB/c mice Original Research Article Neuropharmacology, Available online 17 September 2013 Fabian F. Sweeney, Olivia F. O'Leary, John F. Cryan
- Psychobiotics: A Novel Class of Psychotropic Review Article Biological Psychiatry, Volume 74, Issue 10, 15 November 2013, Pages 720-726 Timothy G. Dinan, Catherine Stanton, John F. Cryan
- Differential nanotoxicological and neuroinflammatory liabilities of non-viral vectors for RNA interference in the central nervous system Original Research Article
Biomaterials, Volume 35, Issue 1, January 2014, Pages 489-499 Bruno M.D.C. Godinho, David J. McCarthy, Cristina Torres-Fuentes, Caroll J. Beltrán, Joanna McCarthy, Aoife Quinlan, Julien R. Ogier, Raphael Darcy, Caitriona M. O'Driscoll, John F. Cryan
- Su2111 A Prospective Assessment of Cognitive Performance in Irritable Bowel Syndrome Reveals Persistent Visuospatial Memory Deficits
Gastroenterology, Volume 144, Issue 5, Supplement 1, May 2013, Page S-561 Paul J. Kennedy, Gerard Clarke, Andrew P. Allen, Ann O'Neill, John A. Groeger, Eamonn M. Quigley, Fergus Shanahan, John F. Cryan, Timothy G. Dinan
- Toll-like Receptor 4 Regulates Chronic Stress-Induced Visceral Pain in Mice Original Research Article
Biological Psychiatry, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 11 November 2013 Monica Tramullas, Beate C. Finger, Rachel D. Moloney, Anna V. Golubeva, Gerard Moloney, Timothy G. Dinan, John F. Cryan
- Unraveling the Longstanding Scars of Early Neurodevelopmental Stress
Biological Psychiatry, Volume 74, Issue 11, 1 December 2013, Pages 788-789 John F. Cryan, Timothy G. Dinan
- GABAB receptor ligands do not modify conditioned fear responses in BALB/c mice
Behavioural Brain Research, Volume 256, 1 November 2013, Pages 151-156 Fabian F. Sweeney, Olivia F. O’Leary, John F. Cryan
- Therapeutic potential of GABAB receptor ligands in drug addiction, anxiety, depression and other CNS disorders Review Article
Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Volume 110, September 2013, Pages 174-184 Kushal Kumar, Sorabh Sharma, Puneet Kumar, Rahul Deshmukh
- Impact of early-life stress, on group III mGlu receptor levels in the rat hippocampus: Effects of ketamine, electroconvulsive shock therapy and fluoxetine treatment Original Research Article Neuropharmacology, Volume 66, March 2013, Pages 236-241 Richard M. O' Connor, Matteo M. Pusceddu, Timothy G. Dinan, John F. Cryan
- Hippocampal group III mGlu receptor mRNA levels are not altered in specific mouse models of stress, depression and antidepressant action Original Research Article
Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Volume 103, Issue 3, January 2013, Pages 561-567 Richard M. O'Connor, Matteo M. Pusceddu, Olivia F. O'Leary, Helene M. Savignac, Javier A. Bravo, Malika El Yacoubi, Jean-Marie Vaugeois, Timothy G. Dinan, John F. Cryan
- Chapter Thirteen - Ghrelin At the Interface of Obesity and Reward
Vitamins & Hormones, Volume 91, 2013, Pages 285-323 Harriët Schellekens, Timothy G. Dinan, John F. Cryan
Neurodegeneration recent publications
Louise M Collins, Aisling M Gavin, Sinead Walsh, Aideen M Sullivan, Sean L Wyatt, Gerard W O'Keeffe, Yvonne M Nolan, André Toulouse. Expression of endogenous Mkp1 in 6-OHDA rat models of Parkinson's disease. SpringerPlus 2014, 3:205
Collins, L.M., O'Keeffe, G.W., Long-Smith, C.M., Wyatt, S.L., Sullivan, A.M., Toulouse, A., Nolan, Y.M. (2013) Mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase (MKP)-1 as a neuroprotective agent: promotion of the morphological development of midbrain dopaminergic neurons. Neuromol Med. 15:435-46. PMID: 23584919.
Neuroimmunology recent publications
- Downer, E.J., Jones, R., McDonald, C.L., Greco, E., Brenna, S., Connor, T.J., Robertson, I.H. and Lynch, M.A. (2013) 'Identifying early inflammatory changes in monocyte-derived macrophages from a population with IQ-discrepant episodic memory'. Plos One, 8(5):e63194.
- Downer, E.J. (2013) 'Toll-like Receptor Signaling in Alzheimer's Disease Progression'. The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease & Parkinsonism, . [epub ahead of print]
- Downer, E.J., Johnston, D and Lynch, M.A. (2013) ' Differential role of Dok1 and Dok2 in TLR2-induced inflammatory signaling in glia'. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, 56:148-58.
- Green HF, Nolan YM. (2014) Inflammation and the developing brain: Consequences for hippocampal neurogenesis and behavior. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 40C: 20-34.
- Nolan YM, Sullivan AM, Toulouse A. (2013) Parkinson’s Disease in the Nuclear Age of Neuroinflammation. Trend Mol Med 19: 187-196
- Ryan SM, O’Keeffe GW, O’Connor C, Keeshan K, Nolan YM. (2013) Negative regulation of TLX by IL-1beta correlates with an inhibition of adult hippocampal neural precursor cell proliferation. Brain Behav, Immun 33: 7-13
Developmental Neuroscience - Regeneration recent publications
- Dmitriev RI, Zhdanov AV, Nolan YM, Papkovsky DB. (2013) Imaging of neurosphere oxygenation with phosphorescent probes. Biomaterials 34: 9307-9317
- Hegarty, S.V., O'Keeffe, G.W., Sullivan, A.M. (2013) BMP-Smad 1/5/8 signalling in the development of the nervous system. Prog Neurobiol.109; 28-41. PMID: 23891815
- Hegarty, S.V., Sullivan, A.M., O'Keeffe, G.W. (2013) BMP2 and GDF5 induce neuronal differentiation through a Smad dependant pathway in a model of human midbrain dopaminergic neurons.Mol Cell Neurosci. 56: 263-271. PMID: 23831389
- Hegarty, S.V., Sullivan, A.M., O'Keeffe, G.W. (2013) Midbrain dopaminergic neurons: A review of the molecular circuitry that regulates their development. Dev Biol. 379:123-38. PMID: 23603197
Behavioural Neuroscience recent publications
- Chambers F, Murphy N, Nolan YM, Murphy O. (2014) ‘William, a 15-year-old sport-crazy Millennial in Ireland’ In: Pedagogical Cases in Sport, Exercise and Movement. Kathleen Armour (Ed.). Routledge.
O'Leary OF, Dinan TG, Cryan JF (2014) Faster, better, stronger: Towards new antidepressant therapeutic strategies. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014 Aug 1.
doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.07.046. [Epub ahead of print]
Anatomy Education Research recent publications
- Lone M, Vagg T, Theocharopoulos A, Cryan JF, Mckenna JP, Downer EJ, Toulouse Development and Assessment of a Three-Dimensional Tooth Morphology Quiz for Dental Students. Anat Sci Educ. 2018 Oct 30. doi: 10.1002/ase.1815. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30378278.
- Lone M, McKenna JP, Cryan JF, Downer EJ, Toulouse A. A Survey of tooth morphology teaching methods employed in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Eur J Dent Educ. 2018 Aug;22(3):e438-e443. doi: 10.1111/eje.12322. Epub 2018 Jan 15. PubMed PMID: 29334421.
- Lone M, McKenna JP, Cryan JF, Vagg T, Toulouse A, Downer EJ. Evaluation of an animation tool developed to supplement dental student study of the cranial nerves. Eur J Dent Educ. 2018 Aug;22(3):e427-e437. doi: 10.1111/eje.12321. Epub 2017 Dec 30. PubMed PMID: 29288542.
- Javaid MA, Chakraborty S, Cryan JF, Schellekens H, Toulouse A. Understanding neurophobia: Reasons behind impaired understanding and learning of neuroanatomy in cross-disciplinary healthcare students. Anat Sci Educ. 2018 Jan;11(1):81-93. doi: 10.1002/ase.1711. Epub 2017 Jun 19. PubMed PMID: 28628732.
- Lone M, McKenna JP, Balta JY, O'Mahony SM, Cryan JF, Downer EJ, Toulouse A. Assessment of Thiel-Embalmed Cadavers as a Teaching Tool for Oral Anatomy and Local Anesthesia. J Dent Educ. 2017 Apr;81(4):420-426. doi: 10.21815/JDE.016.012. PubMed PMID: 28365606.
- Imaging of neurosphere oxygenation with phosphorescent probes Original Research Article Biomaterials, Volume 34, Issue 37, December 2013, Pages 9307-9317. Ruslan I. Dmitriev, Alexander V. Zhdanov, Yvonne M. Nolan, Dmitri B. Papkovsky Perspect Med Educ. 2016 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- The utility of cadaver-based approaches for the teaching of human anatomy: A survey of British and Irish anatomy teachers. Balta JY, Cronin M, Cryan JF, O'Mahony SM.Anat Sci Educ. 2016 Jun 28. doi: 10.1002/ase.1629. [Epub ahead of pri
- Association between learning style preferences and anatomy assessment outcomes in graduate-entry and undergraduate medical students. O'Mahony SM, Sbayeh A, Horgan M, O'Flynn S, O'Tuathaigh CM. Anat Sci Educ. 2016 Jul 8;9(4):391-9. doi: 10.1002/ase.1600.
- Human preservation techniques in anatomy: A 21st century medical education perspective. Balta JY, Cronin M, Cryan JF, O'Mahony SM. Clin Anat. 2015 Sep;28(6):725-34. doi: 10.1002/ca.22585. Review.
- Medical student perceptions of radiology use in anatomy teaching. Murphy KP, Crush L, O'Malley E, Daly FE, Twomey M, O'Tuathaigh CM, Maher MM, Cryan JF, O'Connor OJ. Anat Sci Educ. 2014 Dec 16. doi: 10.1002/ase.1502. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25516061
- Relevance of anatomy to medical education and clinical practice: perspectives of medical students, clinicians, and educators.Sbayeh A, Qaedi Choo MA, Quane KA, Finucane P, McGrath D, O'Flynn S, O'Mahony SM, O'Tuathaigh CM.
Recent Press Cuttings
Filling the void: our difficult relationship with food
Do you reward yourself with a slice of cake for a job well done, or reach for the biscuit tin in stressful moments?
IRISH TIMES 8th NOV 2013
Harnessing the potential of new brain cells
Dr Yvonne Nolan is looking at how neurons grow in adult brains, and how we might be able to target them to improve health or address disease
Stimmen aus dem bauch
Germany's 3Sat TV hitech science documentary comes to Cork to meet Professor J Cryan and discusses research advances taking place in the understanding of the science of the gut
UCC lecturer honoured for MS research
UCC’s Dr Eric Downer has received a Neuroscience Ireland Early Career Investigator Award for his pioneering research into the cannabinoid system and how it can contribute to treating multiple sclerosis. http://www.ucc.ie/en/news/fullstory-371719-en.html
Dara O Briain's Science Club
Dara and the team probe shine a light on the hidden worlds around - and within - us. Alok Jha travels to Cork to meet Professors John F Cryan and Paul O’Toole at the Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre (APC) at UCC to shine a light on some of the more mysterious and usually hidden worlds that surround us.
‘Psychobiotics’ offer potential in improving mental health, researchers find
IRISH TIMES JUNE 18 2013
Irish scientists leading street drug research
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
STREET drugs, such as ecstasy (MDMA) and cannabis, are being examined for their medicinal value.
Anatomical Society Best Image 2013
Dr Kieran McDermott and Dr Janelle Pakan win the Anatomical Society Best Image Prize 2013
Title: Embryonic Spinal Cord. Description: Confocal image of nestin (red) positive radial neuroepithelial cells dorsally and co-localized nestin (red) and BLBP (green) positive radial glial cells ventrally in an 40 micron transverse section of the E14 rat spinal cord. Cell nuclei are labelled with bisbenzimide (blue)
Gut feeling about better health
Recent Press Releases 2013
29 August APC 29 August 2013 APC SCIENTSIST FEATURE DARA O BRIAIN
21 May 2013 A Gut feeling about Autism
20 November 2012 UCC RESEARCH AWARD FOR SCIENTIST
28 March 2012 MAR 2012 Bruno Wins UCC Science for All competition
12 July 2011UCC RESEARCH AWARD FOR SCIENTIST