Dr David Wall is a Lecturer in Transportation Engineering for the School of Engineering in UCC. David was a previous Teagasc Walsh Fellow and has a PhD in Energy Engineering. Prior to this, he obtained his MSc in Biosystems Engineering from Michigan State University, USA.
David is a PI in the SFI-funded MaREI Centre for Energy, Climate and Marine, in Research Area 5 “Advanced Fuels and the Circular Economy”. He has published ca. 30 peer reviewed journal papers in the area of bioenergy and renewable gas (h-index of 18).
David is also a member of the International Energy Agency Bioenergy: Task 37 Biogas and has previously authored an IEA Bioenergy report “Facilitating a future green gas grid through the production of renewable gas”.
- Renewable gas technologies (biogas, biomethane, biohydrogen)
- Valorisation of waste streams through novel Circular Economy approaches
- Cascading bioenergy systems for enhanced sustainability
- Electrofuels (renewable fuels from non-biological origins)
- Decarbonisation of transport and agriculture through bioenergy
- Wall, D. M., et al. (2017). "Cascading biomethane energy systems for sustainable green gas production in a circular economy." Bioresource Technology 243: 1207-1215.
- Wall, D. M., et al. (2013). "The potential for biomethane from grass and slurry to satisfy renewable energy targets." Bioresource Technology 149(0): 425-431.
- Wall, D. M., et al. (2014). "The effect of trace element addition to mono-digestion of grass silage at high organic loading rates." Bioresource Technology 172: 349-355.
- Herrmann, C., et al. (2016). "Optimised biogas production from microalgae through co-digestion with carbon-rich co-substrates." Bioresource Technology 214: 328-337.
- Vo, T. T. Q., et al. (2018). "Techno-economic analysis of biogas upgrading via amine scrubber, carbon capture and ex-situ methanation." Applied Energy 212: 1191-1202.
See Dr Wall’s IRIS profile for full details of publications.
David co-represents Ireland at the International Energy Agency Bioenergy: Task 37 Biogas. He is also currently a Guest Editor for the Frontiers of Energy Research Journal under the topic “Advanced Biofuel Production and Cascading Bioenergy Systems”.
David has also worked on a number consultancy projects including SEAI’s “Assessment of the cost and benefits of biogas and biomethane in Ireland” and the Dingle Feasibility Study for creating a Sustainable Energy Community.
David has been invited to speak to the Bioenergy Steering Group for the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (DCCAE) in the development of the Bioenergy Plan for Ireland, and to stakeholders of the Irish Transport Energy network.
David as three ongoing research projects: EPA funded NEWTRIENTS project, SEAI RD&D funded project Developing Economic solutions for on-farm Anaerobic Digestion technologies under Irish conditions (EcoAD) and the SFI Zero Emissions Challenge funded project ElectroFuels in A Circular Economy (EFACE).
Dr Wall delivers the following modules:
NE3004/CE6042 Transportation and Energy
CE4012 Traffic and Highways
Dr Wall also delivers lectures in the following modules:
NE6004 Advanced Fuels, Bioenergy and the circular economy (from 2021)
NE4005 Biomass Energy