Higher Education staff around the world are invited to travel to Cork to participate in the Programme for Visiting Lecturers. This innovative programme combines support for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education with English language development, as well as offering participants the opportunity to enjoy UCC campus life and Irish culture.
Participants can avail of the following options
- A year long programme which runs September-May.
- A three or six month programme during the University’s semesterised year. The three month option runs September-December or January-March. The six month options runs September-March.
- A concentrated version of the programme is available as a Summer School option from mid July-mid August.
- Shorter bespoke programmes can be designed on request.
The Teaching and Learning programme provides an overview of the key theories of teaching, learning and assessment in higher education. It is grounded in the work of two major US drivers of contemporary theory and practice in teaching and learning, i.e. the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, and the Project Zero Classroom at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Such influences, coupled with local commitment to teaching and learning at UCC, make the programme the longest running and most successful in Ireland and celebrated internationally (see news item).
The language programme is comprised of a placement test, integrated English language classes to support language acquisition, and bespoke English language classes aligned with the content of the Teaching and Learning programme.
Programme Flyer (download here)
Programme for Visiting Lectures 2015 (English Version) (7,367kB)
Programme for Visiting Lecturers 2015 (Chinese Version) (1,322kB)
Programme for Visiting Lecturers (Spanish Version): Programa para catedráticos Visitantes: el apoyo a la enseñanza y el aprendizaje en la educación su perior con el desarrollo del idioma Inglés
Brochure Catedráticos Visitantes (780kB)
On completion of this language course scholars will receive:
- A certificate acknowledging professional development in English language proficiency.
- A report on their progress in relation to language skills and systems.
On completion of the Teaching and Learning course, scholars will receive:
- A certificate acknowledging professional development in integrating research, teaching and learning.
- Access to links and archives that will sustain their research work in this field.
- The course also provides a pathway to the online ECTS certified programme in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Accommodation arranged by UCC staff
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Programme
- English Language Development Programme
- Networking at UCC, classroom visits and observation
- University student card issued
- Free membership of the university’s world class sports complex
- Access to the University Boole Library
- Cultural experiences and outings
|"I got a lot of examples of problems I can use in my classroom… especially how to use student engagement".
"The people left a deep impression-they are so friendly… they give a lot of smiles and help for us".
"I have learned that teaching and learning is a combined process. It was a really wonderful experience for us and our English has been enhanced".