News and Events
Refugee Week: Monday 5th February - Friday 9th February
UCC Refugee Week- Celebrating UCC's University of Sanctuary Status & Supporting Cork City's bid to become a City of Sanctuary
Admission Free to all Events. Continue reading for timetable of events
Showing Tuesday 6th - Friday 9th February in the Glucksman Gallery, UCC
- 10am to 5pm, Foyer Gallery, Glucksman, UCC 'Blueprints' Exhibition.
- 1pm to 2pm, Screening on a loop, Sisk Gallery, Glucksman, UCC 'Cork Young Filmakers' short film created by teenage refugees and asylum seekers in partnership with Cork Film Centre.
- 1pm to 2pm, Screening on loop, Sisk Gallery, Glucksman, UCC 'Sorry I Drowned' animation created by the Beirut-based Studio Kawakeb and Médecins Sans Frontiéres. Inspired by a letter allegedly found on the body of someone who drowned in the Mediterranean Sea.
Monday 5th February
- 11.30am, Cork City Library, Grande Parade 'Becoming a City of Sanctuary' event. Learn about Cork becoming a City of Sanctuary, hear personal stories of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants, and learn about projects that support integration in Cork City.
- 1pm, Cork City Library, Grande Parade - Launch of art exhibition by Maria Wojdylo Kelly 'Language of Life: Language of Humanity. Safety. Sanctuary. Set of Web'. The art exhibition will be in the City Library for three weeks. It will provide an opportunity to colect the views of people living in Cork City on what a City of Sanctuary means to you. This information will be used as research in the strategic plan for Cork becoming a City of Santuary. Refreshments provided.
- 1.30pm, Cork City Library, Grand Parade - Further presentations from organisations and projects that support integration and personal stories of Refugees, Asylum Seekers and Migrants.
- Afternoon/Evening - Music Generation Cork City and GMCBeats intorductory hip-hop and rap workshop with young asylum seekrs (private event)
Tuesday 6th February
- 11am, West Wing 7, UCC 'Moving On, Moving Out: Housing Choice and Making Home After Direct Provision'. Rosie Howlett Southgate, PhD Candidate, Geography, UCC.
- 1pm, Kane Building Room B10A, UCC 'Migrant Workers Rights in Bahrain'. Susan Martin.
- 6pm, West Wing 6, UCC - University of Sanctuary Annual Lecture 'What is Refuge, Who Decides, and How?' Professor Alison Phipps, UNESCO Chair: Refugee Integration through Languages and the Arts, University of Glasgow.
- Evening tour of UCC for young asylum seekers by the Visitors Centre (private event)
Wednesday 7th February
- 1pm, Moot Court room, School of Law, Áras na Laoi, UCC 'The Refugee Status Determination Procedure'. Lunchtime Seminar hosted by the Centre for Criminal Justice and Human Rights and the UCC Student Action for Refugees (STAR) Society.
- 2pm, Digital Arts and Humanities Room, Food Sciences Building, UCC 'Jungala' Calais Digital Radio Project. Kathy O'Hare, PhD Candidate and Research Assistant, SPEEDS Project UCC.
- 4pm, Foyer Gallery, Glucksman, UCC - Official Launch of 'Blueprints' Exhibition by UCC President Patrick O'Shea. Presentation of University of Sanctuary Designation to UCC by Places of Sanctuary Ireland.
- 6pm, Kane Building Room G01, UCC 'The Rohingya Refugee and Humanitarian Crisis'. Sam Taylor (Director, Médecins Sans Frontiéres) and Haikal Mansor
Thursday 8th February
- 1pm, Sisk Gallery, Glucksman, UCC 'In Conversation', Sam Taylor, Director, Médecins Sans Frontiéres
- 4pm, Western Gateway Building Room G04 - In conjunction with Action Aid: FGM screening of 'Girls from Earth'. Guests from Liberia will share their experiences on FGM with those who will be attending the screeing.
Organised by UCC University of Sanctuary Working Group in conjunction with the Social Inclusion Unit, Cork City Council and Music Generation. Special thanks to Margaret O'Leary (UCC) for organisational support