- Get Experience
- Plan your Career
- Resources to find work
- Graduating in 2019?
- Work Placement
- UCC Works Award
- Information for Employers
- Destinations of Graduates
- Handouts from Talks
- Job Vacancies
- Location & Directions
- Give us your feedback
- Mission Statement and Data Protection Notice
Exploring Alternative Careers
Exploring Alternative Careers
- You might have decided that pursuing an acadmic career or a research career is not for you. These pages can provide information and guidance to think about how to manage your career, including helping you consider career options and ways forward.
- The information provided covers a range of career options, both within research and academia, and considering careers in other sectors.
What are professions outside research really like?
- GradIreland Career Sectors will give you a snapshot of each of these industries
- Prospects' ‘Explore types of jobs' Typical work activities of hundreds of occupations. Also includes information on entry and career progression, related jobs and career profiles.
- Science Careers Careers website for scientists. Covers a host of interesting non-research careers for former scientists, much will be of interest to non-scientist researchers as well.
Getting ideas and feedback from peers - through their Blogs and other Social Media Resources
- Social Media - Social Media Resources for Researchers (245kB): Handy one page factsheet on Social Bookmarking, Social Citation Tools, Bloggings and Microblogging, Virtual Worlds, Presentation Sharing Tools, Audio and Video Tools, Research and Writing Collaboration Tools, Project Management, Information Management and Location Based Tools.
- The full Social Media Guide for Researchers is available at www.rin.ac.uk/social-media-guide
Useful Social Media Resources from UCC Career Services:
- Social Media - Tips, Guidelines and Resources for Research Staff (106kB)
- Blog for Researchers (196kB)
- Facebook for Researchers (189kB)
- Google Scholar for Researchers (192kB)
- LinkedIn for Researchers (189kB)
- Researchgate (190kB)
- Skype for Researchers (188kB)
- Slideshare for Researchers (187kB)
- Twitter for Researchers (196kB)
- Euraxess The EU Researcher's Mobility Portal Information and assistance for researchers taking up research positions -Includes job vacancies and listings of research establishments.
- Social Research Association is a forum for people working in a diverse range of settings and in different subject specialities related to social research. It includes a ‘careers in research' section.
- PhD Jobs A commercial website that caters for recently qualified postgraduates. Candidates can apply on-line for opportunities that interest them (inside and outside academia) and register with the site in order to be kept informed of relevant vacancies. Also information about CVs, covering letters and interviews.
- Shinton Consulting Specialist information and resources for research staff and postgraduate researchers, written by a careers consultant and former contract researcher.