Work While You Study
Work While You Study
Whether you need money to fund your studies or just want to get some experience, there are lots of opportunities to find a job while you study or in your vacation time.
Find a part-time job - Many opportunities will just be advertised in shop windows or by word of mouth.
- Have a look at MyStudentJob.ucc.ie
- Download our Part Time Jobs Guide (this includes a listing of departments in UCC who have employed UCC students as Student Help -on the right hand side)
- Internships Student internship opportunities - large and small organisations (see the internship brochure on the right hand side)
Casual vacation work - Use your summer effectively, its a great time to earn some money and get experience. Check out some links below:
- The Youth Hostelling Association. YHA regularly recruit permanent staff, and temporary staff for the season February to October.
- Camp Beaumont Day Camps. Regularly recruit students as activity instructors, group leaders, nursery leaders, and administrators. Also visit http://www.barracudas.co.uk/
- Rockley Watersports. Often advertise for Watersports Instructors and Mountain Bike Leaders
- PGL. Recruits several thousand seasonal staff for its activity centres in the UK, France and Spain. - vacancies in sailing, canoeing, windsurfing, abseiling, fencing, and motorsports.
- Other relevant organisations. World Challenge, Exodus, Karakoram Experience, Explore Worldwide, KE and International Academy.
- Magazines. Useful magazines include, High Mountain Sports, Climber and Wanderlust.
- Brathay Management Centre - provides information about their graduate apprenticeship programme.
- Outdoor Project - listing of outdoor centres.
- Bluedome - list of outdoor and adventure organisations and job links.
- Lakeside YMCA - listing of opportunities with this YMCA centre.
- Prospects - visit the work experience section on this site.
- Visit our link to Summer Schemes
- Outward Bound is the leading provider of experiential and outdoor education programs for youth and adults. Regardless of who you are or where you are from, there is an Outward Bound course at an Outward Bound School that is right for you. Experience Outward Bound on one of our backpacking trips, mountaineering trips, whitewater rafting trips, canoeing trips, dog sledding expeditions, sailing trips and many other offerings.
- Carlingford Adventure Centre - From time to time we have opportunities to join our professional team here at Carlingford Adventure Center. If we do not have any positions listed here, then please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Work shadowing is usually informal - where you observe someone in their role to understand how they do their job.
It is usually short term (a few days at most) and unpaid, and usually provides an insight into the type of work, rather than actual hands on experience.
This can be useful experience to gain in careers where few formal internships exist- eg solicitor, opthalmologist.
Work shadowing is usually arranged through speculative applications. The best idea is to start with a small request, such as one day, then see if you can extend this to a few days helping out at the organisation on an unpaid basis.
Suggestions for ways to find opportunities
- Use your networks, friends, family and social networks.
- Talk to employers on campus at our fairs and events.
- Network through Social Media - Facebook is fine, but LinkedIn is much more professional for business networking.
Other sources of experience
- Internships and insight days for first years
- Find work while you study
Work Experience in Finance, Investment, and Law (mostly for first years):
• Deutsche Bank - Spring into Banking offers the perfect introduction to uncover what a career with Deutsche Bank is really like. We like to think of it as a mini internship, where for one week over the Spring, you will receive an insight to what it takes to achieve in our fast-paced world. You can choose from one of five divisions to work ? Finance, Global Banking, Global Markets, Group Technology & Operations and Legal, Risk & Capital. Deadlines usually mid February.
• JP Morgan Spring Week - JP Morgan offer two week-long events aimed at getting students one step closer to a career in investment banking. Spring Week: Inside the Industry is a comprehensive overview of the industry and the business areas within J.P. Morgan. Applications tend to open in December, deadline usually in February.
• ICAP - ICAP's Spring Programme offers a unique opportunity for first-year students (or second-year students of a four year course) to learn about interdealer broking at ICAP early on in your career. The two-day programme offers a comprehensive overview of the world of interdealer broking with the opportunity to meet people and start learning about our business. You'll attend presentations; take part in interactive skills sessions, work shadowing and a social networking event. Check on line for deadline (most recent one was 22 February 2015).
• HSBC 1st Year Internships - Spend 7 weeks in a UK branch. If a job offer is made at the end of the internship £1000 sponsorship is received. Additionally student debt will be reduced by £2000 upon graduation. No deadlines but try to apply early.
• Morgan Stanley Internship Programs - Various selection of Morgan Stanley internships.
• Barclays Capital - Barclays Capital offers a range of internships including insight days and weeks for 1st Years. Check on-line for deadlines - the summer programme for 2015 was 31 January..
• UBS - UBS offer 1st years work experience through its Insights and Horizons Programmes. Application deadline usually is around mid January. The 2015 Longon programme beings in April for one week.
• PricewaterhouseCoopers - The Insight Academy offers one week placements and Insights Days are held in offices throughout the UK. Summer programmes close March 27th 2015; the Talent Academic closes 3rd April.
• Goldman Sachs - Offering a range of internships and insight days. The spring internship for first years closed in January 2015. However, lots of deadlines for various programmes.
Legal Work Experience:
• Eversheds - Vacation placements (UK)