Holiday periods out of UCC, are a good time to earn money and gain experience, Christmas, Easter and summer provide blocks of a few weeks when you can work full time.
Even if not related to your degree or future career, vacation work is excellent for developing transferable skills which employers want: team working, initiative, problem solving, communication skills and others.
Some opportunities will be advertised early in the year and others as they come up. It's worth planning in advance if you want to work on a particular event or summer scheme as they are likely to recruit earlier than an organisation looking for last minute cover for staff taking holidays.
Want to look at more options?
There are lots of websites listing vacation opportunities and jobs for students.
- Seasonworkers.com Summer jobs, ski-resort work, TEFL, summer camps & holiday parks. UK and overseas.
- Directory of kids summer camps Use it to see if there is one near you and contact them about opportunities.
- Summerjobs.co.uk Summer camps and jobs UK and overseas.
- Summer jobs abroad
- Fruit picking and farm work
- AmeriCamp, the award-winning Summer Camp that sends AmeriCampers from all corners of the globe to Summer Camp America 2015, You’ll spend 9 weeks doing AmeriCamp, earning up to $1845 whilst doing so. Oh and let’s not forget the 30 days travelling around the USA afterwards!
- With USIT Camp Exchange USA, you’ll spend up to nine weeks at camp this summer discovering what it means to be a leader and educator-Simply choose your camp experience: as an activity specialist, engaging directly with kids to teach them new activities and skills, or as a cabin counsellor, living with and guiding campers throughout the camp experience.
- CAMP AMERICA - Spend 9 weeks this summer with the company who brings you the original summer camp experience! Camp America are looking for open, energetic, fun and happy people to work with children in the USA for 9 weeks over the summer! We work with hundreds of different types of camps and place thousands of people so there are opportunities available for everyone! Camp is a truly international environment and you’ll make friends with people from all over the world – you can also travel in America after you have finished working at camp. Camp America Requirements: You must be at least 18 years old by 1st June 2015 - Available to depart sometime between 1st May & 20th June 2015 for a minimum of 9 weeks.
- Support throughout your entire application and whilst you're in the USA
- Return flights to New York
- Up to $1200 pocket money for working on camp
- 1 nights stay in our arrivals hotel & transport assistance to camp
- All your food & accommodation provided during your camp placement
- Medical insurance that covers you for the entire time you're in the USA
How to apply:Register and complete your application by visiting: https://mycampamerica.com/sign-in Closing date for applications : April 2015
- TECS - and Recruit TECS have six camps allocated in Andalucia and one in Madrid - The Summer School programme is an activity based language learning programme in which language learning is combined with fun activities like: sports, adventure, excursions, music, computers, art, handicrafts, nature, songs, games, parties. The objective is for Spanish Children to learn English whilst enjoying themselves in a camp atmosphere.
- Speaking-Agency is France’s leading organization in childcare services in foreign languages and language courses for all ages. We offer hundreds of jobs in Paris (everywhere in the Ile-de-France area), with a few positions available in Lyon, Lille, Bordeaux, Nantes, Toulouse, Montpellier, Aix-en-Provence and Nice. http://www.speaking-agency.com; http://www.baby-speaking.fr
- The Youth Hostelling Association. YHA regularly recruit permanent staff, and temporary staff for the season February to October. You can apply via their web site
- Camp Beaumont Day Camps. Regularly recruit students as activity instructors, group leaders, nursery leaders, and administrators.
- Rockley Watersports. Often advertise for Watersports Instructors and Mountain Bike Leaders
- Adventure Centres. Jobs are advertised at Adventure Centres across the UK and abroad
- PGL. Recruits several thousand seasonal staff for its activity centres in the UK, France and Spain. - vacancies in sailing, canoeing, windsurfing, abseiling, fencing, and motorsports.
- Trekking. Try to gain experience as activity instructor with YHA or PGL, or walking leader for Ramblers Holidays or HF Holidays. Some training is available via the Mountain Leader Training Board , or the British Mountaineering Council http://www.thebmc.co.uk/
- Other relevant organisations. World Challenge, Exodus, Karakoram Experience, Outward Bound Trust (http://www.outwardbound-uk.org) , Explore Worldwide, KE and International Academy.
- Brathay Management Centre http://www.brathay.org.uk/ - provides information about their graduate apprenticeship programme.
- http://www.outdoorproject.co.uk/ - listing of outdoor centres.
- http://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/ - browse for a list of outdoor business education providers.
- http://www.baha.org.uk/ - British Activity Holidays Association this site has links to members pages some of which have jobs links.
- http://www.bluedome.co.uk/ - list of outdoor and adventure organisations and job links.
- http://www.lakesideymca.co.uk/ - listing of opportunities with this YMCA centre.
- http://www.hfholidays.co.uk/hfholidays/ - a Lake District-based walking holiday company that sometimes takes on students.
- http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ - visit the work experience section on this site.