The role of the Academic Mentor
The role of the Academic Mentor is to provide support and advice to the student during Work Placement and contribute to the assessment of the student’s performance on Work Placement.
The Academic Mentor is asked to:
- · Be the primary point of contact for the student on Work Placement;
- · Liaise with the student during Work Placement to make sure all is going well;
- · Visit or arrange a conference call with the student and Workplace Mentor during the Work Placement on a day and time convenient for all.
Objectives of the Work Placement visit or call:
Ø Review the tasks/projects being undertaken by the student;
Ø Ascertain if there are any difficulties associated with the Work Placement from the student’s and the Workplace Mentor’s viewpoints;
Ø Make an initial evaluation of the student’s performance on Work Placement;
Ø Gain a greater insight into the company and its activities;
- · Liaise with the Work Placement Manager on any issues of concern that arise;
- · Contribute to the assessment of the performance of the student at the end of Work Placement in accordance with the assessment criteria;
- · Help students with academic issues, such as report preparation, etc.