Why Engage in Training?
It is vitally important than anyone involved in delivering Semester 1 modules in 2019/20 engage in the training provided as soon as possible. While any content that existed last year on Blackboard has been copied, there is still some work to be done.
It is the responsibility of co-ordinators to:
- Verify their course content in Canvas, as some items may not have transferred over correctly from Blackboard to Canvas.
- Copy their content from one year to the next i.e content from 2019 courses will need to be imported into the empty 2020 course before a course starts.
- Publish their courses.
Please note failure to carry out b) and c) above will result in students not being able to see any content.
NB: Before attending any training session, please ensure that you can log-in at canvas.ucc.ie using your UCC credentials. If you cannot sign-in, please contact email@example.com. The Canvas trainer will not be able to solve this for you during the training.
About the Training
Upcoming sessions include:
- Thursday, 30th January 10am-12pm | Research Skills Teaching Room, Boole Library, Q-1
- Thursday, 13th February 9:30am-11:30am | Research Skills Teaching Room, Boole Library, Q-1
Staff should sign up to book a specific session at this form or by using the button above. Places on these sessions are limited to 25 and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Also, note that if a session has 8 people or less booked 24 hours before the session time, the session may be merged or cancelled. Participants will be emailed a notification if this happens.
Also, we have now introduced Canvas Drop-In Sessions, in these sessions members of the Instructional Design team will make themselves available in a PC lab for 2 hours. Staff are welcome to come along and work on their modules in the presence of an Instructional Designer so that they can get some help, or they can just drop in for a few minutes to ask specific questions. There is no need to sign-up to these sessions in advance, just come along. We will send a reminder closer to the time. The next drop-in session will take place as follows:
- Tuesday, 4th February 9am-11am | Research Skills Teaching Room, Boole Library, Q-1
The full details of all Canvas sessions are available in this Calendar at this link (also given at the bottom of this page).
Should a department/unit ask for a specific session, this can be accommodated on condition that:
- the session has at least 20-25 people booked in (departments can join forces if they wish).
- the department organises an appropriate room.
In addition to the Canvas Training sessions, a number of other supports have been put in place for staff:
- UCC’s Instructional Design team has created a 10 Step Guide to Tidying up Your Blackboard Content in Canvas, Canvas Best Practice Guidelines (a series of checklists to help you verify your course) and an online Canvas Orientation Course which explains how to use Canvas.
- Technical help with Canvas can be reached by using the Canvas Support chat/phone line which is available from the Help Button within Canvas,
- A number of additional resources including Canvas Guides and Videos are also available from the Canvas Community site
Should you have any queries on Canvas Training please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally, a reminder that details on why and how UCC has decided to move from Blackboard to Canvas this year can be found on the recording of the formal Canvas launch on February 25th.