Benefits of Canvas
Canvas offers a number of additional opportunities to enhance our teaching and learning. Examples include:
- Collaboration Tools: Canvas integrates with GSuite (Google Apps) and Office 365, meaning students and staff will be able to work together on documents from within Canvas. Collaborative documents are saved in real-time, meaning a change made by any of its users will be immediately visible to everyone
- Intuitive Design: Born on the Web, Canvas looks and feels like a modern VLE with functions and navigation reflecting best practice.
- Web Conferencing: Canvas has a built in web conferencing tool allowing lectures to offer virtual classrooms, and adhoc video chats
- Classroom polling: so that a lecturer could potentially ask students to vote or answer a question in class
- ePortfolio: Students can use Use ePortfolios in many ways, such as:
- Create an online educational journal for reflection
- Create an online site that can be turned in as an online Assignment
- Demonstrate mastery of course outcomes
- Share your best work from multiple course
- Showcase professional-quality work for prospective employers
- Mobile Apps: Canvas comes with dedicated mobile apps for students and teachers
- 24/7 Support: Canvas will be supported by a 24/7 helpdesk over phone, email and online chat, allowing queries (by students or staff) to be answered whenever help is needed
- The power of cloud: Canvas is a true cloud-native system, offering seamless upgrades and reliability. New features and improvements will be rolled out to canvas every few weeks, ensuring that our platforms is always up to date, and ready to meet the needs of our learners and teachers
- Extensibilty and Integrations: The implementation of Canvas in UCC is fully complementary to Connected University Programme, and Canvas also offers rich opportunities to integrate with teaching and learning tools and other campus systems.
- And more: Modern, responsive user experience, easy to use workflow (less clicks!), accessible interface, deeper analytics, a roll call tool (attendance), adhoc group spaces, sub-accounts for colleges and schools, and much more!
And of course, all of the features and functionality that we currently use in Blackboard will also have their equivalent in Canvas.
For more on the benefits and features offered by Canvas, you can also check out Canvas's own webpages.