PhDChatUCC: Peer Support for PhD students
PhDChatUCC is an informal platform created by PhD students for PhD students, and offers an opportunity for students to meet in a relaxed environment and share their research, thoughts, tips, experiences, achievements, and a long list of etcs.
Resolving Problems for Research Students
Postgraduate research students may, during the course of their research, encounter obstacles that can impede satisfactory progress if they are not resolved in a straightforward manner.
How to Resolve Difficulties as a Postgraduate Student sets out in detail the procedures that should be followed when difficulties arise.
In summary, the following steps are recommended:
1. Discuss the issue with your Supervisor(s) and/or PhD Advisor.
2. If a resolution is not reached with your Supervisor(s) or Advisor, your next step should be to approach your Head of Department/School or the Chairperson of your Departmental/School Graduate Studies Committee.
3. If the issue is not resolved at local level, it should escalate to College level by contacting your Postgraduate Student Liaison Officer. In CACSSS this is the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, currently Dr Mervyn O'Driscoll.
4. The UCC Student Advisor and Ombudsman is a university-level resource available to you.
Student Support Services
A Range of Student Support Services
UCC provides a range of supports for students, including:
- Offices with information about accommodation, careers, and budgeting advice
- Offices dedicated to supporting students with disabilities, mature students, and international students
- Students' union
- Student health centre
UCC Student Counselling and Development Service
The Student Counselling and Development Service offers free and confidential counselling to students.
But - they also offer lots of other kinds of support including:
- Mindfulness courses
- Access to an online computer-aided lifestyle management programme
- Wellbeing podcasts
- Stress management workshops
- Self-help resources
If you're feeling the pressure a little bit (or even if you're not) browse through their website
Managing your Finances
For information on UCC's Budgeting Advice Service, the Student Assistance Fund, or Fees,can be found here
If you know of any other useful websites to support postgraduate student wellbeing that you'd like to share on this website, please email them to email@example.com