Explore this page
School Health & Safety Introduction
The University is committed to minimising risk to the health and safety of employees, students, visitors and the general community.
The School of Biochemistry and Cell Biology Health and Safety committee continue to work towards full compliance with the University’s Health and Safety obligations in accordance with the Safety, Health and Welfare At Work Act 2005.
The School Health and Safety webpages contain important information:
- Emergency numbers
- First Aiders/Fire Marshals
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Safety manuals
- Safety PowerPoint presentations
- Safety regulations
Details of the University’s Health and Safety systems and procedures are available at UCC Health and Safety Office. UCC Health and Safety Office publish detailed information on the University's Health and Safety Policies on their website.
Dr Orla Cox
Chairperson Health and Safety Committee
School of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
School Safety Committee
School Health and Safety Committee members
|Kathryn Bermingham||School Manager||Western Gateway 3.43||5422|
|Yvonne Brennan (Admin)||Senior Executive Assistant||Western Gateway 3.19||5415|
|Dr Orla Cox (Chair)||Chief Technical Officer||Biosciences Institute 2.07||1311|
|Jennifer Duane||Senior Technical Officer||Western Gateway 3.30||5435|
|Dr Kate Foley||Senior Technical Officer||Western Gateway 3.30||5418|
|Gavin Kinsley||Senior Technical Officer||Biosciences Institute 2.06||1339|
|Dr Andrew Lindsay||Lecturer and Principal Investigator||Biosciences Institute 3.09||1368|
|Dr Alex Zhdanov||Research Support Officer||Cavanagh Pharmacy 1.29||1687|
- Regular notifications sent to Staff and Postdoctoral laboratory workers informing them of their obligations under the University's Health and Safety Policy to complete two Compulsory Health and Safety web based (online) courses for 1) Visual Display Unit (VDU) and 2) Fire Safety.
- Regular notifications sent to Staff and Postdoctoral laboratory workers informing them of other safety courses available to them.
- Hepatitis B vaccinations/Health Surveillance and allergy testing available.
- Safety manuals available in all laboratories as well as both Administration Offices (Western Gateway Building 3.19 and Biosciences Institute 2.05), and also, in Pharmacy Laboratories.
- Safety Data Sheets in laboratories.
- Chemical inventory updated in November each year and available in laboratories.
- First aid boxes checked regularly and system in place to re-stock items.
- Chemical Spillage kits inspected and signage put in place.
- Equipment inspections regularly carried out.
- Safety glasses/cyro gloves/face shields available on request.
- Health and Safety signs advising names of First Aiders/Fire Marshals/Emergency numbers placed in all laboratories.
- Training laboratory in Western Gateway Building – work carried out to redesign the position of Bunsen burners and signs put in place.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for handling syringes, needles and sharps – signs placed in all laboratories and regularly updated.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for handling biological materials – signs placed in all laboratories and regularly updated.
- Chemical Spillage/Emergency Response signs placed in all laboratories and regularly updated.
- Biohazard signs on entrance to all laboratories.
- PowerPoint presentation on Laboratory Safety for all Laboratory workers updated annually.
- Principal Investigator (PI) checklist and Statement of Compliance.
- Laboratory Safety Review (Inspection) – carried out bi-annually.
- Procedure for reporting accidents (revised version 2017).
- New improved speaker to alert people to alarms installed in room 3.23 Biosciences Institute.
- Continuous monitoring of the wearing of laboratory coats while working at the bench.
- Biosafety VET15 licence obtained November 2018. Renewed annually.
- Fourth Year Undergraduate Student Safety manuals (including Statement of Compliance forms) in all laboratories.
The committee welcomes any Health and Safety concerns/issues that you wish to bring to our attention/discuss at our committee meetings.
Please email Yvonne or contact Yvonne at +353 (0)21 420 5415.