Archaeology Teaching and Covid-19
Archaeology is committed to delivering as much teaching on campus as possible in the prevailing pandemic circumstances, always subject to public health guidelines. Lectures commence on Monday, 28th September. Our BA courses will have a mix of face-to-face teaching with the full class in attendance, or else face-to-face teaching with staggered attendance (class split into groups who will attend lectures in classrooms and online on alternate days each week). Most Archaeology modules in Second and Third Year have small class sizes, and so we are hoping for 100% classroom delivery. We will double-teach our larger First Year class to meet social distancing requirements. All lectures will be recorded, and these will be available online for students who have health concerns, are registered with DSS or are unable attend classrooms. Class timetable information will be available once you register for individual modules in September.
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHAEOLOGY
DETAILS OF UNDERGRADUATE TEACHING -- 2020/21
The following are timetable details of teaching in Archaeology for the coming academic year. This is based on current social distancing guidelines (1m with face-masks in class), which are subject to change in prevailing pandemic circumstances and public health guidelines. Full details will be available on CANVAS module pages after registration, and in course year booklets that will be emailed to all students in late September.
Important: Delivery of Teaching
Depending on final class size, which will not be known until registration is complete, students will have 100%, 75% or a minimum of 50% face-to-face teaching in Archaeology. Only one module will be delivered entirely online (second year module AR2047). The timetable for second and third year Archaeology will depend to a large extent on the option modules you choose.
The following are timetable details for Archaeology teaching in CK101 BA Arts, CK107 BA Archaeological and Geographical Sciences, and CK123 BA Anthropology:
First Year Archaeology
Core (compulsory modules)
- AR1001 (Semesters 1 and 2)
- CK101 Arts: three lectures a week: Monday 11-12 (Boole 2); Tuesday 9-10 (Boole 2); Wednesday (2-3 Boole 3). Depending on final class size, you will have either 100% or 75% face-to-face teaching.
- CK123 Anthropology students and CK107 Geography and Archaeology students: three lectures a week: Monday 4-5 (Conn S2); Tuesday 4-5 (Conn S2); Wednesday 4-5 (Conn S2). 100% or 75% classroom delivery.
Second Year Archaeology (CK101 and CK107)
Core (compulsory modules for full degree students)
- AR2016 The Development of Archaeological Thought (semesters 1 and 2): Lectures on Mon 3-4pm Conn S5 and Tues 3-4pm Conn J1, with tutorials Thurs 12-2pm S3A and others rooms announced in class.
- AR2045 Introduction to Archaeological Fieldwork (semester 2): Mon 3-4pm S5, Weds 12-1pm S5 and Thurs 12-2pm S2.
- AR2014 Artefact Studies (S2): Tues 4-5pm Conn J7, Thurs 10-11am J7 and Fri 10-12noon J7
- AR2033 Chalcolithic and Bronze Age Europe (S1): Mon 2-3pm Conn S3A, Weds 3-4pm Conn S3 and Thurs 12-2pm Conn S3A.
- AR2034 The Archaeology of Early Medieval and Viking Britain (S1): Mon 3-4pm Conn S5, Tues 4-5pm Conn S3 and Fri 10-12noon Conn J5
- AR2037 Introduction to Environmental Archaeology (S2): Mon 12-1pm S3, Thurs 9-10am J5 and Fri 12-2pm S5.
- AR2038 Human Remains for Archaeologists (S1): Mon 10-11am Conn C, Wed 10-11 S5, and Thurs 2-4pm S2
- AR2042 The Archaeology of Later Medieval Ireland, AD1100–1550 (S1): Weds 9-10am S2, Thurs 2-3pm J5, and Fri 11-1pm J5.
- AR2044 Heritage Management and Archaeology (S2): Tues 3-4pm J1, Weds 9-10am S2 and Fri 10-12noon J1.
- AR2047 Celts, Germans and Scythians (S1): online teaching only
Third Year Archaeology (CK101 and CK107)
Core (compulsory modules for full degree students)
- AR3030/AR3010 Dissertation modules (semesters 1 and 2): initial classroom briefing 5pm Wed 7th Oct Conn C; all subsequent meetings with supervisors on Teams.
- AR3047 Professional Practice in Archaeology (semester 2): Mon 10-11am J5, Weds 10-11am S2 and Thurs 2-4pm J5
- AR3037 The Viking World and Ireland (S1): Mon 4-5pm Conn J1, Thurs 10-11am Conn S3 and Fri 9-11am Conn S3A.
- AR3039 The Archaeology of Early Medieval Ireland (S1): Mon 12-1pm J7, Tues 2-3pm J7 and Weds 1-3pm J1
- AR3045 The Industrial Archaeology of Ireland (S1), 1750–1930: Mon 4-5pm J7, Weds 3-5pm J7 and Thurs 11-12noon J7.
- AR3050 Archaeo-palynology (S2): Mon 2-3pm Conn S3A, Weds 11-12noon Conn S5 and Thurs 2-4pm Conn J1
- AR3051 Wetland Archaeology and Palaeoenvironment (S2): Tues 2-3pm S3, Weds 1-2pm J1 and Fri 12-2pm J1.
- AR3053 Landscape Archaeology (S2): Mon 4-5pm S5, Tues 1-3pm S3A and Thurs 10-11am J5
- AR3054 Late Iron Age Ireland and the Roman World (S1): Mon 10-11am Conn J7, Weds 10-11am Conn S5, Thurs 4-5pm Conn J5 and Fri 1-2pm Conn S5. Note 50% of classes in this module will be delivered online.
- AR3055 Transitions in Prehistory: Ireland in the Third Millennium BC (S1): Mon 4-5pm S5, Weds 12-1pm S3A, Thurs 10-11am S3 and Fri 2-3pm J5
- AR3056 The Archaeology of Post-Medieval Ireland, c.1550–1750 (S1): Mon 2-3pm S2, Tues 2-3pm S5, Weds 11-12noon S3A and Thurs 3-4pm S2
- AR3061 Ireland’s Golden Age: Art and Craft AD 600–1200 (S2): Mon 1-2 Conn S3; Mon 2-3 Conn S3A; Tues 4-5 Conn J1; Thurs 4-5 J1
You can download this information as PDF
Archaeology Teaching and Covid-19_24-08-2020
last updated 09 September 2020
You can visit UCC's Covid-19 information page at