The Charles Medal in Anatomy
The Charles Medal in Anatomy
The Charles Medals In Anatomy
In January, 1909, the Governing Body of University College Cork, received from John James Charles, MD, FRSE, formerly Professor of Anatomy and Physiology in Queen's College, Cork, a donation of guaranteed preference stock of the London and North-Western Railway Company, as well as a die, in order to provide a Gold Medal annually for competition among the students pursuing programmes in Anatomy or in Physiology at University College Cork. In 1960, the Governing Body decided that two medals should be provided annually - one for Anatomy and one for Physiology. The following conditions have been approved by the Governing Body:
- That a medal be offered for award annually in Anatomy That each medal be called "The Charles Medal in Anatomy".
- That a First University Anatomy Prize Examination be held.
- That each medal be awarded on the highest aggregate mark of the candidates eligible to sit the First University Anatomy Prize Examination.
- Candidates eligible to sit the First University Anatomy Prize Examination are those registered as First Year medical students of University College Cork during the current session, whose aggregate marks are among the top 10% of the class in the Anatomy component of Progressive Assessment in the following modules: FM1001, FM1002, FM1003.
- That a medal be not awarded unless high merit has been shown.
- In case a medal is not awarded in any year, the income to be used afterwards, at the discretion of the University, in giving an additional medal or prize.
|2013/2014||Edmond P. Morrissey|
|2010/2011||Francis Thomas Delaney||Med 1|
|2009/2010||Brian William Carey||Med 1|
|2008/2009||Ming-Yong Lee||Med 1|
|2007/2008||Ashly Maughan||Med 1|
|2006/2007||Sheila Mary Mc Sweeney||Med 1|
|2005/2006||Tamara Ni Hici / Paul Mullane||Med2 / Med1|
|2004/2005||Jane Cunningham/Andrea Simmonds||Med 2|
|2003/2004||Aaron Neyor||Med 2|
|2001/2002||James Dollard||Med 3|
|2001/2002||Claire Kennedy||Med 2|
|2000/2001||Yvonne Ryan||Med 3|
|1999/2000||Andrea Ryan||Med 3|
|1998/1999||Averil Atkinson||Med 3|
|1997/1998||Kevi Noel O Regan||Med 3|
|1996/1997||Bernard Creedon||Med 3|
|1995/1996||Triona Hayes||Med 3|
|1994/1995||Benjamin Jeo Cheay Lang||Med 3|
|1993/1994||Violet A A Tuthill||Med 3|
|1992/1993||Mairead Horan||Med 3|
|1991/1992||Chor Hiang||Med 3|
|1990/1991||Niamh O Connell||Med 3|
|1989/1990||Margurite Madigan||Med 3|
|1988/1989||John Finbarr O Rourke||Med 2|
|1987/1988||Gerald T Mc Greal||Med 2|
|1986/1987||Dan O Brien||Med 2|
|1985/1986||Patricia Cremin / Mark Gallagher||Med 2|
|1984/1985||Matthew Griffin||Med 2|
|1983/1984||Peter A O Callaghan||Med 2|
|1982/1983||Kieran Carroll / Denis A O Leary||Med 2|
|1981/1982||Margaret Philomena O Sulllivan||Med 2|
|1980/1981||Brid Crowley||Med 2|
|1979/1980||John Paul Rossiter||Med 2|
|1978/1979||Michael G J O Sullivan||Med 2|
|1977/1978||Nuala M Moss||Med 2|
|1976/1977||Margaret Mary Hickey||Med 2|
|1975/1976||Margaret Mary Duffy||Med 2|