About This Course
The Communications Lab – One-Day Workshop
One Day, Saturday 7 March, 2020 (9.30am to 4pm)
Cert of Attendance
€95 See Fees and Costs for full details.
Students must be minimum eighteen years at course commencement. See Requirements for full details.
Friday 28 February 2020
Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, Room 225, UCC
Saturday 7 March 2020
‘Take advantage of every opportunity to practice your communication skills so that when important occasions arise, you will have the gift, style, the sharpness, the clarity, and the emotions to affect other people.’ Jim Rohn
Building on the Confident Communications short course, this one-day practical Communications workshop will reinforce the principles of effective presentations. A highly interactive day, you’ll be on your feet, telling and listening to stories, trying out new ideas and techniques and building your confidence in speaking in front of an audience. The Communications Lab is about experimenting with tools and techniques you may not have tried before and allowing yourself to stretch out of your comfort zone in the area of presenting, story-telling and making your voice heard. This will all happen in a relaxed and supportive environment, in the company of like-minded people.
The day is tailored to the needs and experience of attendees and will include the following
• Working on your own unique presentation style and discovering your strengths
• Developing as a communicator rather than a presenter
• The art of story-telling in presenting
• The power of authenticity
• Using analogies and metaphors to create memorable images
• Communicating concepts quickly and clearly
The Communications Lab will run from 9.30 to 4pm and everything we do is participative and interactive so it will be a high energy day. You will be on your feet participating in practical short exercises and making mini-presentations all through the day. Through a short, unprepared presentation you will find your unique presentation style and strengths. Focusing on your strengths, you will receive feedback on what works well and areas to focus on.
Short courses are non-assessed
Who teaches on this course:
Michelle Nelson has extensive experience in the areas of languages and cross-cultural communication, teaching and business administration. Michelle has presented nationally and internationally to a range of different audiences, from second-level students to senior management teams in the public sector. From the terror of reading at mass, Michelle began a journey of gaining confidence in public speaking and is now keen to help others to do the same.
Why Choose This Course
You will receive individual feedback on your presentations, along with copies of all handouts and a resource pack to take with you to support your learning. You will also get recommended reading and links to some videos. You may also choose to get ongoing support in the form of a 30 minute one-to-one skills coaching as a follow-up to the programme (optional).
Fees and Costs
The fee for this course is €95.
How Do I Apply
The closing date for applications is Friday 17 January 2020. Fees are listed in each course description. Students register and pay fees before course commencement as follows:
1. Register and pay online by clicking the Apply Now button below. Course commencement is subject to sufficient enrolment. In the event of a course not commencing applicants will be informed and their fees will be returned.
2. Payment may also be made by credit or debit card, cheque, postal order or bank draft made payable to UCC and these should be returned together with a completed application form to Short Courses, Adult Continuing Education, The Laurels, Western Road. Application forms are available from the office or they may be downloaded from the link below.
3. Students may also hand in completed application forms to the office at ACE between 9:15am and 5pm each day prior to the closing date. We regret we are unable to accept cash.Apply Now