- The 'What's Next' Guide to Student Accommodation
- Tips and Tricks
- Incoming First Years (CAO)
- International & Erasmus Students (Undergraduate)
- Single Semester Students
- Postgraduate Students
- Know Your Rights
- Campus Accommodation
- Private Apartment Complexes
- Private Rental Properties
- Owner Occupied Rentals
- Get to Know Cork
- Feedback & Complaints
Owner Occupied Rentals
AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE ACCOMMODATION & COMMUNITY LIFE OFFICE
We understand that you are all anxious to secure accommodation for the next academic term but, in line with current Government restrictions, it is vital that students do not view upcoming accommodation until these restrictions have been lifted.
Summer accommodation should only be sought in emergency situations or where a student is currently working on the frontline. In these exceptional circumstances, you can contact us for further advice on email@example.com. Please visit our COVID19 Information and Updates website for UCC specific information
UCC Accommodation & Community Life Office
While owner occupied student rentals (or digs) have not been a popular choice in the past, they have become more popular as the private rental market has become more competitive. While a student may not see this option as ideal it does have a number of advantages over private rentals and other forms of student accommodation.
- Digs are frequently a less expensive option than other forms of accommodation
- While cheaper, the accommodation can be of a higher standard, as the owner ensures the property is well maintained
- Meals are often included in the rent, as well as bills and utilities
- Digs can be a good option for students moving from home to independent living for the first time
It is important to note that renting in owner occupied accommodation is a licence arrangement and the normal landlord and tenant laws do not apply. The only rights and obligations in this case are those agreed between the parties. With that in mind, it is important that you set clearly defined terms before entering into this kind of agreement. Click here for further information.
The Union of Students in Ireland website offers dedicated listings of owner occupied rentals which can be searched by region. Click here to search.
Hosting Power is another dedicated website for Owner Occupied homes in Cork. Click here
Please note that, regardless of where you decide to live, your safety is paramount and you should be completely comfortable with the people with whom you will be living.