Frequently Asked Questions

  • What accommodation options are available? 

Students can source accommodation through Campus Accommodationprivately owned student apartment complexes and private rentals such as house shares and digs.


  • How much should I expect to pay for my accommodation? 

Campus Accommodation and private complexes generally ask for the rent in large instalments, typically one instalment per semester.

Rooms in Campus Accommodation will cost from €4029 to €6179 for the academic year depending on the complex and the room type. These prices include utilities.

Prices in private complexes can vary from around €6000 to €10,000 per person for the academic year. As with Campus Accommodation, these prices may also include the cost of your utilities.

The cost of renting a room in a shared house or apartment can vary considerably depending on quality and location but you should expect to pay around €550 per month plus bills.

The average price for digs seems to be around €150 per week. This would generally cover your utilities and may include meals.


  • What is the difference between Campus Accommodation and privately owned student apartment complexes?

The type of accommodation offered by most privately owned complexes is generally quite similar to what is available through Campus Accommodation, individual rooms in shared apartments. While Campus Accommodation offers rooms through a lottery system, private complexes typically offer rooms on a first come first served basis, meaning you can be guaranteed a room if you apply quick enough.    


  • How do I apply for Campus Accommodation?

You can apply for Campus accommodation online through their website. Applications will be accepted from February 6th to March 6th. Rooms are allocated via a lottery. The first offers will be made shortly after the application window closes. There is no guarantee that your application will be successful. For this reason you should look at other options as well. It is not possible to apply to Campus Accommodation after March 6th.


  • How do I apply to a privately owned student apartment complex?

Private complexes typically take applications online through their websites. However, if you are interested in applying to a particular complex then you should query the process with them directly as soon as possible. Every complex sets their own applications dates and places will fill very quickly once they open. It would be best to be ready to book a room as soon as possible. You will find contact details for these complexes on our website.


  • How do I source private rentals?

House shares can be sourced through third party websites as Daft.ie as well as StudentPad a UCC owned website, you will need a CAO number or UCC student number to access this website. StudentPad also lists owner occupied rentals (digs). For more information on sourcing private rentals, please follow the links below.

Private Rentals



  • What precautions should I take when sourcing accommodation? 

There have been instances of students falling victim to scam adverts when sourcing private rentals. To avoid falling victim to such scams, never make a payment to an individual before physically viewing the property. 

You will find more information here.


  • What do I do if I’m late applying for accommodation?

If you find that you are starting your search late and most places are full, do not panic. Accommodation does become available at later dates and even into the start of the academic year.

Unfortunately, Campus Accommodation will not consider late applications but privately owned apartment complexes do operate waiting lists. You should contact these complexes periodically to enquire about possible vacancies. House shares and digs can be advertised at any time of the year. It is important to regularly check the sources listed above. Suitable accommodation can be found on these websites at any time but it will not remain available for long, particularly as we approach the start of the academic year.

If you are an incoming undergraduate who has just received a CAO offer to study at UCC but have not sourced accommodation then you can apply to the First Year Accommodation Placement Service. This service aims to ensure that every eligible student receives an offer of accommodation. We prioritise students based on their distance from campus. Applications can be made online through the Residential Services website after the first round of CAO offers have been issued.

Accommodation & Community Life