How to Convert a PDF file to Word / MDI / TIF or TIFF (14 April 2008):
The good thing about this technique is that it works even if the PDF is showing all text as an image rather than recognising it as text.
The technique involves using the Microsoft Document Imaging (MDI) tool. The MDI tool is available at
Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office Document Imaging
If you want to create a shortcut on your desktop you'll find the program in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Tools
1. Open the relevant file using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
2. From the Print menu choose 'Microsoft Document Image Writer' and save the file in .MDI format
3. Open the Microsoft Document Imaging tool and open the MDI file you created.
4. Go to Tools > Recognise Text as OCR
5. Go to Tools > Send Text to Word
If you want to convert the PDF file to TIF / TIFF format instead:
Follow steps 1 to 3 above.
Choose File > Save As ... > Tagged Image Format (.TIF)
Darius Whelan, Law Department, U.C.C., Cork, Ireland
Go Back to Technical Issues page
[an error occurred while processing this directive]