Book of Modules 2013/2014
|Choose by Subject Category or Module Code:||
Back to Home page
Students should note that all of the modules below may not be available to them.
International visiting students should consult the International Education Office regarding selection of modules.
Undergraduate students should refer to the relevant section of the UCC Undergraduate Calendar for their programme requirements.
Postgraduate students should refer to the relevant section of the UCC Postgraduate Calendar for their programme requirements.
PX2000 Undergraduate Work Placement (for the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences)
Credit Weighting: 5
Teaching Period(s): Teaching Periods 1 and 2 and Teaching/Research Period 3.
No. of Students: Min 1, Max 50.
Teaching Methods: Placements (minimum of 150 hours Work Placement / Internship, preparation sessions and self-reflection).
Module Co-ordinator: Dr Rachel Magshamhráin, Department of German.
Lecturer(s): Staff, College of ACSSS; Dr Rachel Magshamhráin, Department of German.
Module Objective: To enhance students' employability and transferable skills through work experience and critical reflection.
Module Content: Second year students, with the approval of their Head of School and the assistance of the Careers Service, will arrange a work placement or internship with a minimum of 150 hours of engagement on the placement. Students will also participate in a series of compulsory pre-placement preparatory workshops organised by the Careers Services where they will complete a skills analysis and determine which skills they need to develop as well as setting goals for the internship. The placement can be paid or unpaid, or supported by external funding (e.g. Erasmus), and can occur in a variety of relevant campus, local, national or international settings (e.g. academic, commercial, cultural, heritage, statutory, NGO etc.). Students are required to identify a mentor within the workplace. On completion of the internship they will participate in a de-briefing session where they will reflect on the learning gained, update their CV accordingly and make further plans to move their employability skills and attributes forward in a purposeful way. At the end of the placement, students will deliver a final reflective report on their experience to their supervisor, with a copy to the module co-ordinator.
Learning Outcomes: On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
· Articulate and reflect on the key skills and attributes that they have acquired or enhanced during their placement;
· Identify the purpose and objectives of the unit, its operations and the role played by the student;
· Demonstrate and reflect on the initiative displayed during the work placement;
· Reflect on the experiential learning and personal development experienced on the placement and summarise in a Reflective Final Report and Personal Development Portfolio or Plan;
· Evaluate your effectiveness in terms of the role and the requisite skills and attributes required to fulfil its objectives;
· Demonstrate how critical learning on the work placement/internship can inform their identification of further areas for skill development;
· Articulate a deepened knowledge of transferable skills and their applicability in both academic and workplace settings;
· Design and update a Curriculum Vitae.
Assessment: Continuous Assessment: 3,000 word project (1,500 words employment log; 1,500 words reflective report on employment experience) and a Curriculum Vitae.
Compulsory Elements: Continous Assessment; Participation in the Preparatory Workshops; Participation in Work Placement/Internship (confirmed by brief academic mentor's report).
Penalties (for late submission of Course/Project Work etc.): Work which is submitted late shall be assigned a mark of zero (or a Fail Judgement in the case of Pass/Fail modules).
Pass Standard and any Special Requirements for Passing Module: A Pass Judgement.
End of Year Written Examination Profile: No End of Year Written Examination.
Requirements for Supplemental Examination: No Supplemental Examination.
[Top of page]