Download my CV in pdf format here: [pdf]
- PhD in Philosophy, University of Toronto, 2001-2005
- M.A. in Philosophy, University of Toronto, 2000-2001
- BA (Hons) in Psychology, Philosophy and Physiology, Oxford University, 1997-2000
- 2006-Present: Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, University College Cork.
- 2005-2006: School of Graduate Studies Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Toronto
- Mind and Machine (Palgrave-Macmillan)
- Mind: A Historical and Philosophical Introduction to the Major Theories (Hackett) (co-authored with A. Kukla)
- "Emergence and Reduction in Dynamical Cognitive Science." New Ideas in Psychology, 28 :274-282
- "Explanation in Dynamical Cognitive Science." Minds and Machines, 18(3):331-348.
- "Methodological Situatedness; or, DEEDS worth doing and Pursuing." Cognitive Systems Research, 9(1-2):150-159.
- "Mysticism and Social Epistemology." Episteme: A journal of social epistemology, 1(2):139-158 (Co-authored with A. Kukla)
- "A theory's predictive success does not warrant belief in the unobservable entities it postulates." in C. Hitchcock (Ed.) Contemporary debates in the philosophy of science.(London: Blackwell) pp.40-56 (co-authored with A. Kukla)
Reviews & Other Short Pieces
- "Review of José Luis Bermúdez: Cognitive Science" Teorema xxx(3):186-191
- "Review of Robert Logan: The Extended Mind." University of Toronto Quarterly 78(1):146-147
- "Where is my mind?" CACSSS Research Journal, University College Cork Summer 2008.
- "There's Room in the Lab for an Armchair" Journal of Consciousness Studies 10(3):89-93.
Conference Presentations, Lectures and Invited Talks
- "On the 'Proper' Treatment of Emergence: Non-reductive physicalism and group agency" GroupThink Workshop, University College Dublin June 2012.
- "Mind, Death and Supervenience: Towards a Comparative Dialogue" Conference of the International Association of Buddhist Universities, Bangkok, June 2012 (Co-Authored with Ira Greenberg)
- "Life, Emergence and the Status of AI" Invited talk to Trinity College Dublin Philosophy Colloquium. November 2011
- "Explanation Extended" Invited talk to the Trinity College Metaphysical Society Symposium. April 2011
- "Explaining Explanation" Invited talk to Cork Astronomy Club. January 2011
- "Coupling, Constitution, and the Dynamical Approach to Cognition" Joint Session of the Mind Association and the Aristotelian Society, Dublin, July 2010
- "How do we know our theories are true?" Invited talk given to the Cork Astronomy Club, May 2009
- "Explaining Extended Systems" Joint Session of the Mind Association and the Aristotelian Society, Aberdeen, June 2008
- "You do not have an immortal soul" Talk given to the Undergraduate Philosophy Society, University College Dublin, November 2007
- "Nomological Emergence and Functional Reduction in Dynamical Cognitive Science" Interactivist Summer Institute, American University of Paris, May 2007
- "Rational Animals: The Fall and Rise of Embodied Thinking" Invited talk, University of Toronto, May 9th, 2006
- "Explaining Situated Cognition" (Different---but related---talks, with the same title nonetheless)
- Invited talk, Lehigh University, February 2006
- Invited talk, University of Toronto, December 2005
- Visiting Speaker Series, University College Cork, October 2006
- "Interdisciplinarity and the Future of Philosophy" Conference on The Transmission of Knowledge: Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology, University of Toronto, August 2005 (Audio available on request)
- "What kind of explanation is dynamical explanation?" Metaphysics and Epistemology Forum, University of Toronto, November 2004
- "Emergence and 'The' Dynamical Approach to Cognition" PhilMiLCog 2004, University of Western Ontario, May 2004
- "Dynamical Systems, Emergence and Explanation" Interactivist Summer Institute, Copenhagen, July 2003
- "Emergence and Necessity" University of Toronto Philosophy Forum, December 2001
- "Machines, Thinking and Thinking Machines: Towards a Philosophy of Articial Intelligence" Massey College Junior Lecture Series, October 2000.