The AllExchangeUsers mailing list
All UCC staff are entitled to use the AllExchangeUsers email list. It has proved to be a very useful mechanism for distributing information and has provided a valuable forum for discussion within the University. It is recognised that the more the list is self-regulated, the more effective it will be overall. To achieve this, it is important that everyone complies with the following guidelines:
- Users must comply with the Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Networks and Systems. In particular users must not send emails to the list which are offensive, obscene, abusive or threatening.
- Users should be courteous and should show tolerance towards other users of the list.
- Users should be mindful of the fact that, with approximately 2,000 members on the list, any messages will be widely published. Therefore users are expected to exercise restraint when voicing controversial opinions. In particular they must:
- respect the variety of cultures and beliefs that are likely to be represented across such a large audience;
- ensure that any messages they send cannot be construed as being in any way defamatory (See Advisory Note on Defamatory Statements from Secretary's Office );
- ensure that they do not damage the reputation of the University or undermine its overall mission.
- Jokes should not be sent to the list.
- Chain letters/emails of any sort are prohibited.
- The list must not be used for personal advertising-e.g. item for sale, house for rent etc.
- The list must not be used to circulate information relating to events, organisations, societies etc. which are not directly connected with UCC.
- Messages should be kept as small as possible, ideally 1-2Kb or smaller, and should contain only text. Images, logos, 'watermark' backgrounds, etc. are not permitted since they greatly increase the size of a message and therefore significantly reduce the space available in each user's mailbox.
- For similar reasons, emails to the list should not include any attachments. Where there is a need to provide staff with copies of reports, forms etc., these should be made available on the web and a link to the document included in the message to AllExchangeUsers.
- Other than in exceptional cases relating to safety, security etc., messages should be sent only once.
- A user should consider whether a reply to a message would be of general interest or of interest only to the individual who sent the message and the reply should be addressed accordingly.
If any breach of this policy is observed then disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, may be taken in accordance with the University's Disciplinary Procedures.
Users have the option of having their names removed from the AllExchangeUsers list in which case they would only receive emails via the list which had been authorised by the President.
Approved by the I.T. Policy Committee - 7th April 2004