Electronic Publishing Unit
The Unit provides technical support and advice for the development and implementation of websites and intranets (including the UCC website), for document management applications, and for individual publishing projects (on the Web, on paper, or in other media).
- Developing and recommending standards for electronic document production including related aspects of document management.
- Delivering training and support for electronic publishing for UCC staff.
- Making recommendations towards the development of electronic workflow strategies.
- Provision of services and support for the development of websites/intranets.
- Provision of technical support for the UCC website.
- Provision of support for individual publishing projects.
- Evaluating web-based and other electronic publishing systems and technologies.
- Management of Usenet News, bulletin-board, and mailing-list services.
Particular attention is paid to a) the use of reusable file formats in order to prevent information becoming inaccessible over time ; b) careful structuring to make documents easier to edit, read, and maintain ; and c) the use of automated formatting features to avoid valuable authoring time being spent doing it manually .