School of Education
University College Cork
The VIP project is an 18 month University College Cork knowledge exchange project funded by the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS). This project is primarily concerned with issues of inclusion and student voice, identity, and participation in Irish primary and secondary schools. The project aims to develop classroom and school based strategies for learning based on recent developments in understanding about the learning process. This project seeks to develop respect for the learner's perspective and promote learning through the integration of education and everyday experiences.
Specifically this project seeks to:
- Equip practitioners with knowledge and strategies at class and school level for enhancing pupils' full participation in their learning
- Help practitioners understand how some practices may constrain participation in learning
- Address implementation barriers deriving from out moded practices and thinking
- Extend opportunities for learners to bridge home, community and school cultures
- Contribute towards evidence based policies on inclusion and participation
- Influence education policy makers
- Change aspects of organisational cultures and practices in schools
- Explore how knowledge is shared and transformed in the exchange process
- Challenge traditional patterns of exchange with outreach groups
On this website you can find out more information about this exciting research project. Please visit our News page for the latest information on our research as well as information on new significant education policy documents or up-coming conferences. Details of the international speakers visiting UCC as a part of this project will also be available here. Voice, Identity, Participation introduces the big ideas around which this research project is based. Resources and Podcasts provide further material for study. Visit our Research page for a more in depth description of the research project and our latest developments. Archived newsletters are available in our page. On our UCC and Links pages you will find links to new and ongoing research in the field of education.
The VIP Project aims to promote, support, engage with and develop further research in the area of education. If you would like to help support our work please tell others about the website. Further information will be added to this site on a regular basis. If you would like to keep up to date with our latest news and research, as well as updates on other sociocultural research projects in the field of education please visit our Contact Us section and send us your email details. The focus of this project is on knowledge exchange and the importance of having a dialogue between teachers and learners. We are currently working with a group of teachers from the Munster area to develop this research. If you are a principal, teacher or an individual interested in this area we invite you to join the online component of the research. Just visit our Contact Us page and email your details to join the project and we will be delighted to accept your contribution to the project and offer you access to the Members Only section of our site.