Student IT Services FAQ
- How do I print?
- How do I release a print job?
- Where can I release my print job?
- How do I print on only one side of the paper?
- How much will it cost to print?
- How much most I top-up by?
- How do I top up my print account balance?
- How much can I print?
- Can I use my own paper in the Student IT Printers?
- Does UCC recycle the waste paper and toner cartridges from the student IT Centres?
- Can I print in colour?
- Can I print from the wireless network?
All registered students have a Student IT Account. This account allows you to logon to the Open Access Student IT computers, access UCC networked services and it allows you to print to the Open Access Student IT Printers.
All the Open Access Computers are configured to print to the central Student IT Print Service, you don’t need to select or configure a printer. Having logged on the Open Access Computers, you can use the standard built in print options of any of the installed applications, e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint…etc.
Once you have sent a file to the printer you will need to release it from a Card Reader next to the printer. Insert your UCC Student ID card into the Card Reader and press OK to select Print
To print documents:
- Press Stop
- Each Job on your print list is displayed one at a time
- Press OK to print the displayed job or press STOP to move to the next job
- Continue to review your print list, selecting files to print
- Press STOP
- Wait for ready signal before removing your Student ID Card
Your print job should now start printing
The IT Services Department operates “follow-me” style printing. This means your print job can be released at any of the open access Student IT printers, at the time of release.
**Please note that you have 6 hours in which to release your job before it is deleted from the print queue**
The Open Access Printers print on both sides of the page by default.
To print on one side you will need to chose the 'one sided' printer in the print dialogue box
Printing costs are as follows (all prices quoted are on a per page basis):
|A4 Black and White single-sided||7c per page|
|A4 Black and White double-sided||6c per page (12c per sheet)|
By default our computers are set to print double sided
*Prices are subject to change
You will be able to top up in multiples of five from €5 - €50.
As one single sided page costs 7c - with €10 you can print 140 single sided pages.
As one double sided page costs 6c - with €10 you can print 165 pages. (83 sheets of paper used)
The UCC Smartcard Service is used to pay for printing so you top up through the Smartcard Office Website http://www.ucc.ie/en/smartcard or you can top up with Cash at the pay stations in the Boole Library
Currently there is a limit of 50 pages per print job in the Student IT Centres. This limit is enforced on submission with the effect that any job whose page count exceeds 50 will not be displayed when a student logs in at a release station.
If you do need to print something more than the maximum, we recommend you break it into batches.
No. Only paper supplied by the IT Services Department can be used in the Student IT Printers.
Yes, we do. All paper on Campus is separated from other waste, and sent for recycling.
The IT Services Department do not maintain any Colour Printers. Your department may have a colour printer that you can use, or there are several commercial stores offering this facility in Cork.
Students using the wireless network can print using Uprint http://uprint.ucc.ie
- In a web browser go to http://uprint.ucc.ie
- Login using your Student IT Account
- Upload the document you wish to print or enter a web address
- Click Next
- Select the Advanced tab for SIT Printing service
- Select Long-sided
- Click on SIT Printing Service
- Your job is now sent, you can release it at any of the Open Access Printers
- Your job will remain in the queue for 6 hours as standard