Student IT Services FAQ
- What is my email address?
- How can I logon to my email account?
- Do I have an email address based on my name and not on my student number?
- Can I send mail from my mail alias?
- I've forgotten my password!
- How much information can I store in my email account?
- What happens if I go over my quota?
- Can I forward my student email to another email account?
- What features can I use?
- What services are available with Umail Google Apps?
- I've recently finished college will I get a new Umail account?
- How can I set up my email account on my phone?
- I still have a problem!
Your email address will be in the following format: email@example.com
- Go to http://sit.ucc.ie
- Click on "Umail"
- Username: Student Number
- Password: Portal Password
- Alternatively you can logon directly at http://umail.ucc.ie
Yes. All students are provided with an email alias based on their name. Most people prefer to use this address when applying for jobs/courses. To find your mail alias please complete the following steps.
- Log in to your Umail
- Username: Student Number
- Password: Portal Password
- Click on your account name in the menu on the top right of screen
- Click on My Account
- Click on Your personal info under Personal info & privacy
- Under Email you will see your primary account and your mail alias
Yes (but we recommend that you do not change this setting). To send email from your mail alias please complete the following steps.
- Log in to your Umail account
- Click on Gear icon in the menu on the top right of screen
- Click on the Accounts Tab
- Click on Add another email address you own (This will open a new page)
- In the Email addresses field enter your email alias (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Click on Next Step
- Click on Send Verification
- An email will be sent to your umail.ucc.ie account. Use this to verify ownership of the account.
- You can now send email using your mail alias.
To have your password reset please click on the Forgot Password link on http://sit.ucc.ie
You have unlimited storage on email and Google Drive.
Yippee, that should never happen!
You should not forward your Student Email to another email account. Your student email account is used for official communication from the University including fees and exams information. UCC cannot guarantee the delivery of email to an external account and it is your responsibility to check your official UCC Student Email Account.
- Searching your email is fast and easy: use search to find the exact message you want, no matter when it was sent or recieved. Don't spend time sorting your email - simply search, and let Umail do the rest.
- Related messages are grouped together: Each message you send is grouped together with all the responses you recieve, so you can always see your messages in context.
- The chat feature is built-in: Chat with your other students with just on click. Or, use voice and video chat to hear or see students - all you need is a webcam and we recommend to use the Chrome Browser.
- Labels and filters help you organise and manage your emails: Labels do all the work folders do, but with more flexibility; you can apply more than one label to any conversation. Filters can be used to automatically label, archive, delete, or forward messages.
- Getting your email on the go means you're not confined to checking email at home or in the Open Access IT Centres: Mobile optimised view means you can access your email wherever you are on your mobile device.
- Google Mail
- Google Calendar
- Google Talk
- Google Drive
- Google Sites
Any UCC Graduate is entitled to a UCC Student Email account. If you have problems logging in to your account please contact the alumni office.
UCC Alumni Office
|T||+353 (0)21 490 2040|
|F||+353 (0)21 490 3112|
For Android 3.0+ Devices:
- On your home screen press the menu button and choose Settings > Add account > Google
- Choose Existing
- On the Email and Password page press the menu button and choose Browser sign-in
- Press OK to agree to Terms
- Enter your email address email@example.com and leave the password field blank
- You'll be redirected to the edugate login page. Enter your username and password here
- Touch Grant Access if you're asked to grant access for the device
- Your account will be added to your Android device. The next screen displays Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, and other Google services syncing with your device. You can choose which services to sync.
First step is to set up your 2-step verification account, here's how to do this:
- Logout of all Gmail / Google accounts before beginning this process
- Go to http://sit.ucc.ie and click on Umail
- Enter your student number and password
- When your email opens click on your username (student number) in the top right of the screen and from the drop down menu choose Account
- Choose Security from the menu on the Account page and then choose to Edit 2-step verification
- An explanation of 2-step verification will open. Choose See how it works! to start the wizard
- On the next screen choose Start setup >>
- Enter your mobile phone number and press Send code. Note: All verification codes will be sent to this number!
- A six digit code will be sent to your mobile. Enter this code and press Verify
- Leave the Trust this computer check box checked and choose Next
- Press Confirm to Turn on 2-step verification
- Under Application specific passwords choose Manage application-specific passwords
- Enter a name for the application e.g. Mobile Device and choose Generate password
- Use this 12-digit code to seup Google sync (using active sync) on your mobile phone. Once your phone has connected successfully click Done
- The code is now hidden and you cannot see it again. You have control over the password and can revoke it at any time from your account settings page. If you need to setup your phone again or a new phone revoke the old password and create a new one
Once you have set up your 2-set verification account follow the below steps:
Setup your account as an Exchange account, NOT Gmail with your student number followed by @umail.ucc.ie
Domain: (leave blank)
If you have a problem that is specific to your Student Email account, talk to one of the staff members at the IT Helpdesk for Students, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org