Integration of Research and Teaching & Learning
The department places a strong emphasis on research into teaching and learning in engineering education. Apart from a broad effort to engage in teaching which is informed by ongoing discipline based research, a number of personnel are actively involved in research into teaching and learning in engineering education. This research is carried out with the intention of providing excellence in teaching and learning to students across a full suite of programmes in Process & Chemical Engineering and in providing them with a leading edge experience which incorporates the very latest international developments in chemical engineering education.
Areas of engineering education research include:
- Trends in chemical engineering education
- Teaching and assessment to meet Learning Outcomes
- Sustainability in Engineering Education
- Computer based teaching tools/online virtual experiments (in stochastic modelling and heat transfer)
- Teaching and learning styles in engineering education
- Pedagogically informed Information Technology applications
The Department hosted the 3rd International Symposium on Enginering Education (ISEE 2010) at UCC on 1st-2nd July 2010.