Transition Year Student Placements
A one week programme for transition year (TY) students who are thinking of studying pharmacy is offered by the School of Pharmacy each year. The TY programme is run twice and is usually held annually in February.
The aim of the programme is to give students a taste of what it is like to be a pharmacy student in University College Cork.
TY students also get a chance to sit in on lectures, attend some labs and work alongside postgraduates in their research labs.
Students also get to help out the technical staff, who are an essential part of the School and help to ensure the smooth running of laboratories.
Applying for a TY placement
A limited number of placements are offered by the School each year. As there are usually a large number of students wishing to apply for a place on the TY programme, it is necessary to apply in writing directly to the School of Pharmacy.
- Candidates are required to submit their CV in addition to a covering letter.
- The letter must explain why they are interested in pharmacy and what subjects they are planning to choose for the Leaving Certificate.
- The School must also receive in writing a letter stating that the student is covered by their school insurance during their placement.
- A good grade in Junior Certificate Science is essential.
- Please ensure a contact telephone number/email address is also included in the application.
Students will be contacted once all applications have been reviewed.
Applications can be made from September each year. The deadline for submission of applications is late November. Applications should be made to Ms Kathleen Williamson, Senior Executive Assistant, School of Pharmacy, Cavanagh Pharmacy Building, University College Cork, College Road, Cork. Informal enquiries: Tel: +353(0)21 4901662 or email email@example.com