The Health & Safety Office established quality as a key operating value in 1994 - many years prior to the enactment of the Irish Universities Act, (the latter contains a statutory requirement to conduct QA evaluations).
The H&S Office operates quality as an inherent day to day operating value. We always strive to improve and to learn from every situation and everybody who uses our services.
Core H&S Training services
Over the past 23 years, all staff attendees at h&s training courses organised by the H&S Office, are offered the opportunity to complete an evaluation of the course upon completion.
The participant evaluations of each course are reviewed promptly upon course completion by both the instructor and the H&SO office and referenced against the group and the norms for this course. Appropriate actions are taken where warranted subject to AFARP and overall course purpose and UCC compliance needs (regulatory requirements or Civil Case defence objectives)
- As of the end of Dec 2016, some 12000 staff completions has been achieved on very modest resources/ budgets approximating only €25 per staff member per annum and wihtout any dedicated training space or training instructors
- Quality assessment results for staff training courses have been consistently high, as derived from staff evaluations. Annual average ecvalusitons are in the range 90 % range.
- All external trainers / service providers utilised are required to operate QA sytems.
Occupational H&S Advice
Occ H&S Advices given to UCC staff are from experienced Chartered Safety Practioners in their field who are subject to CPD by their Institution.
- Their professional advices is alway cognisant of best OHS practice and Health and safety Authority Guidance and the requirements of Statute SHWW law .
- All H&S consultants are rquired to operate QA sytems and have adequate PI insurance
The foundations of the Health and Safety Office Quality system are:
- An Ethos of quality services
- Quality, accurate, professional advice is given in all circumstances by competent professionals. All contacts/queries are dealt with in a courteous and efficient manner.
- All phone calls, emails and letters are acknowledged and responded to promptly and appropriately on a risk priority basis. Generally all queries are dealt with, within the week of receipt, unless queries are complex or requires the attention of expert staff /consultants .
- An Office quality procedures manual is in operating for 13+ years.
- A web page of quality has also been established. This was entirely reorganised in 2013 according to new UCC wide rebranding / uniform styling and is being regularly expanded/ added to each year.
- All documentation, H&S training courses and service providers are continuously evaluated.
- All staff attendees at h&s training courses organised by the H&S Office, are offered the opportunity complete an evaluation of the courses which they undertake.
As part of our quest for continuous improvement, the H&S Office UCC was the first Irish University to incoprorate e-learning. Two bespoke e-learning packages were introduced in 2007 and 2009 to facilitate staff users/learners. This complements face to face training courses as a blended cost effective approach. Staff have access to selected e-training from their desk top. This is an extremely cost effective mode of delivery on an as required basis. It also minimises the time and cost on attendees being away from their core duties.
Please see further details above : QA results in the period 1994 to 2016 inclusive.
H&S Office Training courses - QA results in the period 1994 to 2016 inclusive.
H&S Office Training courses - QA and Course completon snapshots.
23 year Course completions: 12430 staff
|H&SO QA Avg.||93%||89%||92%||96%||96%||94%||96%||95%||96%||95%|
|H&SO # courses||15||32||54||51||53||74||94||106||99||135|
|H&SO # attendees||206||306||463||448||352||816||1005||1050||1073||2095|
|% increase (completions)||131.8%||23.2%||4.5%||2.2%||95.2%|