Host-bacterial interactions in the gut
American Federation for Clinical Research
Western Society for Clinical Investigation
Fellow of the American College of Physicians
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of United Kingdom
Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland
Corrigan Club of Ireland
Under (medical) graduate
1975 Dillon Memorial Prize for Pharmacology & Therapeutics, NUI, University College Dublin
1975 First Place, Irish Inter-University Clinico-Pathology Competition (team member)
1976 Leonard Prize (Medicine), Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
1977 Gold Medal in Medicine, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Post (medical) graduate
- Travelling Studentship in Medicine of National University of Ireland (1982-1984).
- Canadian Foundation for Ileitis/Colitis 'Promising Young Investigator' Award. 1982
- AGA Research Training Award. (June/85-July/86)
- State-of-the-art Lecture & Medal, the Irish Society of Gastroenterology: Lecture title: 'Inflammatory bowel disease: modern concepts of pathogenesis & treatment', November 1993.
- The 35th Graves Lecture & Medal sponsored by the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland and Health Research Board of Ireland. Lecture title: "Inflammatory bowel disease: from molecular mechanisms to new therapeutic strategies" Dublin, March 8, 1995
- State-of-the-Art Lecture, American Gastroenterological Association, DDW Orlando May 1999. “Pathogenetic insights and new therapies in inflammatory bowel disease”
- UCLA Schwabe annual invitational lecture “IBD – an internet of genes, bacteria and T cells.’ and Arthur D. Schwabe visiting lectureship, University of California at Los Angeles, USA (June 28th, 2000).
- Sidney Truelove Lecture. “Probiotics – treatment of the future”. Oxford Sept 11, 2000.
- State-of-the-Art Lecture, American Gastroenterological Association, DDW Atlanta May 2001. “Non-endoscopic diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease”
- State-of-the-Art Lecture, American Gastroenterological Association, DDW, San Francisco May 2002. “Cellular and Molecular Basis of Probiotic Effects in Intestinal Disorders”
- Melrose Lecture at Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, Glasgow 2003 "Role of Bacteria in IBD"
- 36th annual Kushlan Lecture and visiting professorship Yale school of medicine, New Haven, Feb 2nd, 2005 "Making Microbes work for Mankind".
Qualifications: MD, BSc, FRCPI, FRCP (UK), FACP, FRCP(C)
Director of Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork
Director of BioSciences Institute, University College Cork
Consultant Physician/Gastroenterologist, Cork University Hospital
Brief Outline of Previous Posts:
|1991 - 1993||Director, UCLA Inflammatory Bowel Disease Programme|
|1989 - 1993||Associate Prof. of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)|
|1985 - 1993||Medical staff attending physician, UCLA Center for the Health Sciences|
|1985 - 1991||Co-Director, UCLA Inflammatory Bowel Disease Programme|
|1987 - 1989||Assistant Professor of Medicine in Residence, UCLA|
|1985 - 1987||Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, UCLA|
|1983 - 1985||Fellowship Gastroenterology, UCLA|
|1981 - 1983||Fellowship Immunology, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada|