Summary: The mission of the Learning Technologies Unit is to stimulate and support the development of electronic course delivery in UCC.
Primary users of this service: Staff, Researchers, Student
Who to contact to use this service: E: email@example.com | IT Services |
Contact to discuss this service: Grace O'Leary | E: GOLeary@cc.ucc.ie / firstname.lastname@example.org | T: +353 (0)21 490 3965 / 3966 | IT Services |
Strategic Focus: Teaching & Learning
The Learning Technologies Unit brings together four key elements:
- Content: The content for any applications will be provided by the academic staff wishing to adopt new approaches to teaching and learning.
- Technology: The technical support and leadership is provided by IT Services.
- Pedagogy: The input of the Education Department ensures that pedagogical best practice is followed at all times and that the appropriate balance is maintained between the requirements of the course, the preferences of the student and the impetus of the technology.
- Strategy: The strategic input is provided by a management committee comprising representatives of IT Services and the Education Department and a number of academic staff. The Committee ensures that the strategy of the Unit continues to be aligned with the overall strategic objectives of UCC and that it contributes to a general transformation of the learning process in UCC. The Unit will endeavour also to bring in external expertise from those with demonstrable achievements in this area to assist with the development of strategy.
- Provide opportunities for all members of the academic staff to attain a reasonable level of competence, probably to ECDL standard, in the general use of IT.
- Provide introductory course on learning technologies for all academic staff.
- Provide intensive training sessions on the application of learning technologies.
- Encourage the application of learning technologies to a variety of disciplines across UCC and providing the technical and pedagogical support and guidance to the academic staff involved.