English Language Requirements
All applicants whose first language is not English are required to sit either an IELTS or TOEFL test.
English Language Requirements for Postgraduate Degree Programmes:
- College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences: IELTS 6.5 - With no individual section lower than 5.5
- College of Business and Law: Business IELTS 6.5 and Law IELTS 6.5 - With no individual section lower than 5.5
- College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: IELTS 6.0 - With no individual section lower than 5.5
for programme registration up until August 31st 2013
- College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: IELTS 6.5 - With no individual section lower than 6.0
for programme registration from 1st September 2013
- College of Medicine and Health: IELTS 6.5 - With no individual section lower than 6.5
- Speech and Language Therapy: 7.0 - With no individual section lower than 6.5
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking – for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication.
IELTS has a validity period of no more than two years from the date of the test.
Please see the IELTS website for further information: http://www.ielts.org/
What Is the TOEFL Test?
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language™ (TOEFL) measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written, and heard in college and university settings.
- The TOEFL test is offered in different formats depending on a test taker's location.
- When an applicant is taking a TOEFL test they should provide their test centre with the TOEFL code assigned to University College Cork. This ensures that your score will be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the International Education Office
TOEFL has a validity period of no more than two years from the date of the test.
The code number for University College Cork is 0300
Please see the TOEFL website for further information: http://www.toefl.org/
An intensive summer programme in English Language is offered in Beijing in July of each year to help prepare applicants for entry to UCC. Please contact UCC's China Office for more details.
UCC's China Office:
Room 2711, Full Tower,
No.9 East Third Road,
Tel: + 86 10 859 105 25
Fax: +86 10 859 105 22