Maths via Arts
- Stresses the modelling of practical physical problems
- Entry: Entry to Faculty of Arts entitles entry to Joint Honours B.A. Degree, Applied Maths + something. Lots of possibilities.
- Year 1: models in business, finance, biology, physics, engineering, mechanics, differential equations, computing
- Years 2 and 3: high level programming, analysis, modelling, dynamical systems, chaos, computer algebra, project module
- Broadly based, stresses links to humanities, especially aimed at primary and secondary teaching
- Joint programmes with economics, sociology, geography, philosophy, languages and many more
- Entry: A or B mark in Ordinary Leaving Cert Maths, sufficient Leaving Cert points
- Year 1: algebra, geometry, linear algebra, calculus. To enter 2nd year, need 40% in first year in mathematics and your other 3 First Arts subjects
- Years 2 and 3: algebra, calculus, discrete maths and combinatorics, number theory, geometry, history of maths, computers for maths. Honours based on exam marks. Joint honours: 30 credits of Maths Studies in 2nd and 3rd year. Minor subject: 20 credits of Maths Studies in 2nd and 3rd year
- More concentrated, deeper study of concepts and techniques, especially aimed at research, banking, and academic careers
- Joint programmes with economics and philosophy.
- Year 1: algebra and analysis, calculus. To enter 2nd year, need 55% in first year in maths. Pass in 1st year is enough to switch to Maths Studies in 2nd year.
- Years 2 and 3: analysis: real, complex and functional, algebra: groups, rings, linear algebra, differential equations, differential geometry, chaos, computing. Joint honours: 30 credits of Maths in 2nd and 3rd year
What is it Like?
lectures, small problem-solving tutorial groups, computer labs
After the Degree: Jobs
These degree programmes are good preparation for teaching at all levels. Some typical jobs: accountant, actuary, administration, civil service, college lecturer, management, consultant, investment banker, meteorologist, teacher, biotech researcher, statistician, computer programmer or analyst, pharmaceutical researcher, electrical engineering.
For fees information, application forms, and general undergraduate degree information, contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office + 353 021 490 3571, email@example.com.