Name: Aisling Ryan
Position: Consultant Neurologist CUH
T: 353 (0)21 492 2461
F: 353 (0)21 492 2667
A graduate of UCC, Dr. Ryan received her MB, BCh, BAO (Hons) in 1995. She subsequently trained in general medicine in the Cork University Hospital and allied hospitals before specializing in Neurology. Following a period of specialist neurology training in Dublin, she moved to Germany to undertake a PhD in neuromuscular channelopathies at the Dept of Physiology, University of Ulm. Dr. Ryan returned to Ireland in 2002 to complete her clinical neurology training. She subsequently spent a year at the Centre for Neuromuscular Disease, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London before returning to a post as consultant neurologist in Cork University Hospital.
Neurological Channelopathies, Muscle disease, Peripheral Neuropathies, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke
- Ryan A, Rüdel R, Kuchenbecker M, Fahlke C. A novel alteration of muscle chloride channel gating in myotonia levior.J Physiol 2002 545:345-54
- Wu F-F, Ryan A, Devaney J, Warnstedt M, Korade-Mirnics Z, Poser B, Escriva MJ, Pegoraro E, Yee AS, Felice KJ, Giuliani MJ, Mayer RF, Mongini T, Palmucci L, Marino M, Rüdel R, Hoffman EP, Fahlke Ch. Novel CLCN1 mutations with unique clinical and electrophysiological consequences.Brain 2002 125:2392-2407
- Ryan A, Nor A, Costigan D, Foley-Nolan D, El-Rafie A, Farrell MA, Hardiman O Polymyositis masquerading as motor neuron disease.Archives of Neurology 2003 60:1001-1003
- Ryan A, Molloy F, Farrell M, Hutchinson M. Fatal toxic leukoencephalopathy – radiological and post-mortem findings in two patients.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2005 76:1014-1016
- Ryan A, Hurley M, Brennan P, Moroney J. Vascular dysplasia in neurofibromatosis type 2.Neurology 2005 65:163-164
- Ryan A, Mullins G, Scott J, Connolly S, Hardiman O, Vincent A, Yilmaz E, Lynch T. A 45-year history of acquired autoimmune neuromyotonia. Journal of Neurology 2006 253:1243-1245
- Ryan AM, Ryan J, Wan-Ahmed M, Hardiman O, Farrell MA, McNamara B, Sweeney BJ Vacuolar leukoencephalopathy and pulvinar sign in association with coeliac disease. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2007 78:98-99
- McHugh JC, Ryan AM, Lynch T, Dempsey E, Stack J, Farrell MA, Kelly PJ. Steroid-responsive recurrent encephalopathy in a patient with cerebral amyloid angiopathy. Cerebrovasc Disease 2007 23:66-69
- Ryan A, Bermingham N, Harrington HJ, Keohane C Atypical presentation of macrophagic myofasciitis ten years post vaccination.Neuromuscular Disorders 2006 16:867-869.