PG6008: Qualitative Data Analysis and Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software for the Social Sciences and Humanities
Drawing upon data sets that relate to individual PhD research projects, this module will offer hands on training with software packages, whilst also providing a foundation in the origins and use of qualitative methodology including its ontological and epistemological principles.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Understand key elements of qualitative analysis and its intersection with CAQDAS
- Interface effectively with a CAQDAS application
- Establish a CAQDAS project directly related to an individual PhD data-set
- Manipulate multi-media (Texts, Film, Video, Image, Transcript, or other comparable data, including archive material) in a CAQDAS environment
- Manage, Code, Annotate and Organize qualitative data in CAQDAS system
- Analyze and Interpret qualitative data on the basis of the results of a thematic analysis conducted with a CAQDAS application
Further Information: Dr. Denis Linehan, Department of Geography, email@example.com
Credit Weighting: 5 Credits
NVIVO Training: 1 and 15 February: Geography IT Laboratory - All Day Workshop (9am - 5pm)
Seminars: 31 January and 28 February, CACSSS Seminar Room, G27, O'Rahilly Building (10am - 12pm)
Applicability: MRes, MPhil & PhD Students
Places on this module is limited.
PG6008 Assessment - Closing Date 26 April (308kB)