REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
· Proof documents on the computer instead of printing numerous drafts.
· Use dual-sided copying whenever possible.
· Route or post general information such as memos.
· Use e-mail.
· Purchase long-lasting products.
· Re-evaluate quantities needed for reports and publications.
· Use a reusable mug instead of disposable Styrofoam or paper cups.
· Reuse file folders and corrugated boxes.
· Use the back of used paper or obsolete forms for scratch pads and drafts.
Items that can be recycled
- Glass bottles and jars (some bring centers recycle plate glass or windows)
- Paper (newspapers, magazines, telephone books, office paper, junk mail, comics and light cardboard)
- Paper; laminated or waxed papers (for example, paper cups) and beverage cartons (for example, Tetrapak, milk or orange juice cartons).
- Aluminum cans (soft drink and beer cans, foil)
- Plastic (drinks bottles, detergent bottles, carrier bags, cling film, bubble wrap, yogurt and butter cartons)
- Food tins (fruit, vegetables, pet food)
- Plastic bottle tops, metal and aluminum lids
- Batteries (lead acid, nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, lithium/lithium ion and all household primary, power pack and mobile phone batteries)
- Green waste (see items that can be composted)
- Textiles (clean clothes, bed linen, towels, coats and jackets)
- Waste tires
- Waste oil (mineral and vegetable oils)
- White goods (washing machines, cookers, dryers, dishwashers, fridges)
- Other household electrical appliances (kettles, toasters, computers)
- Wood (without nails)
Items that can be composted
- Coffee grounds
- Egg cartons
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge clippings
- Old plants and garden cuttings
- Vegetable wastes
- Fallen leaves
- Fruit and vegetable remains
- Crushed egg shells
- Light cardboard
Items that cannot be recycled.
- Crystal glass, Pyrex, television tubes, opal glass, (that is, alcohol bottles where a large amount of foil is glued to the bottle) and car windscreens
- Porcelain, pottery, stones and ceramic tiles
- Lead foil (occurs on certain brandy bottles)
- Carpets and rugs, cushions or mattresses