Current projects research the mechanisms of neuron's and alias cell death in in-vitro and in-vivo models of degenerative disorders:-
- Astroglial heterogeneity and role of astroglial in neuron's degeneration
- .Development of in vivo and in vitro models of cyclopamine-mediated models of oligodendrocyte depletion and demyelination
- Study of mechanisms of cytotoxicity in spinocerebellar ataxias and HD.
- Mechanisms of neuron's cell death in PD, with a particular focus on apoptosis.
- Role of activated microglia and pro-inflammatory cytokines: in degeneration of midbrain dopaminergic neurons pertinent to PD, in prevention of hippocampal neurogenesis relevant to AD pathology.
- Identification of inflammation-induced intracellular signaling cascades mediating the death or survival of midbrain dopaminergic neurons and hippocampal precursor cells.
- Reorganization of dynastic circuitries and selective loss of neurons in the amygdala in human temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) and experimental epilepsy
Louise M Collins, Aisling M Gavin, Sinead Walsh, Aideen M Sullivan, Sean L Wyatt, Gerard W O'Keeffe, Yvonne M Nolan, André Toulouse. Expression of endogenous Mkp1 in 6-OHDA rat models of Parkinson's disease. SpringerPlus 2014, 3:205
Collins, L.M., O'Keeffe, G.W., Long-Smith, C.M., Wyatt, S.L., Sullivan, A.M., Toulouse, A., Nolan, Y.M. (2013) Mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase (MKP)-1 as a neuroprotective agent: promotion of the morphological development of midbrain dopaminergic neurons. Neuromol Med. 15:435-46. PMID: 23584919.