Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: T100081
Francesco Chiericati's letter to Isabella d'Este Gonzaga
Author: Francesco Chiericati
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionJ. P. Mahaffy
Electronic edition compiled and proof-read by Beatrix Färber, Janet Crawford
translated by J. G. Smyly
1. First draft.
Extent of text: 4330 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2012)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: T100081
Available with prior consent of the CELT project for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
We are very grateful to Dr C. J. Woods, author of 'Travellers' accounts as source material for Irish historians' (Dublin 2009) for calling our attention to this travel account.
- Thomas Wright, St. Patrick's Purgatory: An Essay on the Legends of Purgatory, Hell and Paradise Current during the Middle Ages. (London: John Russell Smith 1844).
- Julia Cartwright, Isabella D'Este, Marchioness of Mantua 14741539. (London: John Murray 1903).
- Francesco Chiericati, Vescovo e Diplomatico, by B. Marsalia, reprinted from the Proceedings (1873) of the Accademia Olimpica of Vicenza (pp. 8092).
- Robert Easting, 'The Date and Dedication of the Tractatus de Purgatorio Sancti Patricii', Speculum 53:4, October 1978, 77883.
- Carol G. Zaleski, 'St. Patrick's Purgatory: Pilgrimage Motifs in a Medieval Otherworld Vision', Journal of the History of Ideas 46:4, Oct to Dec 1985, 467485.
- Eileen Gardiner, Visions of Heaven and Hell before Dante, New York 1989, 149195.
- Claudia Di Fonzo, La leggenda del "Purgatorio di S. Patrizio" nella tradizione di commento trecentesca, Comunicazione tenuta presso il Dipartimento di Italianistica della Sapienza di Roma il 10 giugno 1997, pubblicata in Dante e il locus inferni. Creazione letteraria e tradizione interpretativa a cura di S. Foà e S. Gentili, "Studi (e testi) italiani" 4 (1999), 5372.
- Jean-Michel Picard und Yolande de Pontfarcy: Saint Patrick's Purgatory: A Twelfth Century Tale of a Journey to the Other World. Four Courts Press, Dublin 1985 (with introduction and English translation).
- M. Purcell, M., 'St Patrick's Purgatory: Francesco Chiericati's letter to Isabelle d'Este', Seanchas Ardmhacha 12:2 (1987) 110.
- See also Arlima.net: http://www.arlima.net/mp/purgatoire_de_saint_patrice.html.
- For a bibliography on St Patrick's Purgatory see also http://www.hell-on-line.org/BibPatrick.html.
The edition used in the digital edition
- J. P. Mahaffy, Two Early Tours in Ireland in Hermathena, Ed. Members of Trinity College, Dublin. , Dublin; London, Hodges, Figgis & Co. Ltd.; Longmans, Green & Co. (1914) volume 40page 13; 1016
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The present text represents the introduction and the account on pp. 1016. Editorial footnotes are integrated into the electronic edition. Any footnotes added at CELT are marked resp="BF" within the XML tags.
Text has been checked and proofread twice. All corrections and supplied text are tagged. Text supplied by the editor to the original is marked sup resp="JPMa".
The electronic text represents the edited text.
Direct speech is rendered q.
Soft hyphens are silently removed. Words containing a hard or soft hyphen crossing a page-break or line-break have been placed on the line on which they start.
div0= the article; div1= the description; page-breaks are marked pb n=""/.
Dates are standardized in the ISO form yyyy-mm-dd.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the description.
Created: Article written by J. P. Mahaffy; the tour by Francesco Chiericati (c.1480-1539), written 1516, has been translated by J. G. Smyly
(1516 (original); 1914 (translation))
Use of language
Language: [EN] The translation is in English.
Language: [LA] Some words are in Latin.