Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: E830002-001
O'Brazil, the Isle of the Blest
Author: Gerald Griffin
Background details and bibliographic information
Electronic edition compiled and proof-read by Beatrix Färber, Juliette Maffet
Funded by School of History, University College, Cork
1. First draft.
Extent of text: 1410 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2012)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: E830002-001
The works by Gerald Griffin are in the public domain. This electronic text is available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of private or academic research and teaching.
Works by Griffin
- For further information, please see Gerald Griffin's Chronology and Bibliography.
Hy Breasail (O'Brazil)
- Peter D. Jeans, Seafaring Lore and Legend: a miscellany of maritime myth, superstition, fable, and fact (Camden, ME: International Marine 2004), especially p. 3839.
- John O'Hanlon, Irish Folk lore: traditions and superstitions of the country, with humorous tales (Glasgow: Cameron & Ferguson, 1870) pp. 114125.
- See also 'The tour of the French traveller M. de La Boullaye Le Gouz in Ireland, A.D. 1644', ed. by Thomas Crofton Croker (London 1837), which is available at CELT, Appendix 2, pp 68 78.
Works about Gerald Griffin
- Daniel Griffin, The life of Gerald Griffin, by his brother (London: Maxwell and Co., 18421843) 8 vols. Expanded version published in Dublin, 1857.
- Karl von Killinger, Gerald Griffin: ein Schriftstellerleben (Stuttgart and Tübingen: J. G. Cotta, 1847).
- Henry Giles, Sketches of celebrated Irishmen, Irish character, etc. (New York: P. J. Kenedy, 1869, 1896 printing).
- John Power, Gerald Griffin, His Life and Poems: A Biographical and Critical Essay (Dublin: Duffy & Sons 1881).
- W. S. Gill, Gerald Griffin, Poet, Novelist, Christian Brother. (Dublin: M.H. Gill & Son, Ltd. . First published in Dublin, 1940).
- M. Moloney, Limerick and Gerald Griffin (1940).
- Maire O'Donovan, Gerald Griffin's nieces (1940).
- Ethel Mannin, Two studies in integrity: Gerald Griffin and the Rev. Francis Mahony (Father Prout) (London: Jarrolds, 1954).
- William MacLysaght and Sigerson Clifford, Death sails the Shannon: the tragic story of the Colleen Bawn: the facts and the fiction. (Tralee: Anvil Books, 1971.) First published in 1953 under the title 'Death Sails the Shannon. The Authentic Story of the Colleen Bawn'. Tralee: The Kerryman Ltd.
- John Cronin, 'Gerald Griffin and The Collegians? : a reconsideration', University review, V/1 5163, (Spring 1968).
- John Cronin, Gerald Griffin in London, 18231827. Irish Booklore, 1972.
- Grace Eckley, "Griffin's Irish Tragedy, The Collegians, and Dreiser's American Tragedy", ÉireIreland 19/1 (1977).
- John Cronin, Gerald Griffin (18031840): A Critical Biography (Cambridge University Press 1978). [With bibliographic information].
- Robert Davis, Gerald Griffin (Boston: Twayne Publishers, 1980).
- John Cronin, 'Gerald Griffin, The Collegians', in: The Anglo-Irish Novel: The Nineteenth Century [Vol. I] (Belfast: Appletree Press 1980) 5982.
- Judy Gleeson, Pre-Famine Ireland in the Works of John Griffin (1981).
- John Cronin, 'The Creative Dilemma of Gerald Griffin', in: Talamh an Éisc: Canadian and Irish Essays, ed. Cyril J. Byrne & Margaret Harry (Halifax: Nimbus 1986) 105118.
- Barry Sloan, 'Early Tales by the Banims and Gerald Griffin (18251830)', in: The Pioneers of Anglo-Irish Fiction, 18001850 (Irish Lit. Studies 21) (Gerrards Cross: Colin Smythe; New Jersey: Barnes & Noble 1986) 5173.
- Barry Sloan, 'Lady Morgan's Departure and Griffin's Major Works (18251830)', in: The Pioneers of Anglo-Irish Fiction, 18001850 (Irish Lit. Studies 21) (Gerrards Cross: Colin Smythe; New Jersey: Barnes & Noble 1986) 109136.
- Julian Moynahan, 'Gerald Griffin and Charles Dickens', in: Literary Interrelations: Ireland, England, and the World, edited by Wolfgang Zach and Heinz Kosok, vol. II: Comparison and Impact (Tübingen: Günter Narr Verlag, 1987) 173180.
- Michel Flot, 'Gerald Griffin', in: The Big House in Ireland, ed. Jacqueline Genet (Dingle: Brandon; New York: Barnes & Noble 1991) 91102.
- Benedict Kiely, 'The Two Masks of Gerald Griffin', in: A Raid into Dark Corners and Other Essays (Cork Univerity Press 1999) 203214 [first publ. 1972].
The edition used in the digital edition
- Gerald Griffin O'Brazil, the Isle of the Blest in , Ed. [unknown] Poems and Plays: The poetical and dramatic works of Gerald Griffin. James Duffy, Dublin, () page 162164
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The whole selection.
Text has been proof-read twice.
The electronic text represents the edited text.
The editorial practice of the hard-copy editor has been retained.
div0 =the poem; stanzas are marked lg.
Names of persons (given names), and places are not tagged. Terms for cultural and social roles are not tagged.
Created: By Gerald Griffin (18031840).
Date range: between 1820 and 1838.
Use of language
Language: [EN] The poem is in English.