Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: E790002
An Argument on Behalf of the Catholics of Ireland
Author: Theobald Wolfe Tone
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionWilliam Theobald Wolfe Tone
Electronic edition compiled by Beatrix Färber
Funded by University College, Cork and
The School of History
1. First draft, revised and corrected.
Extent of text:
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2011)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: E790002
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
- Charles Patrick Meehan, The confederation of Kilkenny (Dublin 1846).
- The autobiography of Theobald Wolfe Tone, 17631798, edited with an introduction by R. Barry O'Brien. 2 vols., (London: Unwin, 1893).
- The autobiography of Theobald Wolfe Tone, abridged and edited by Sean O'Faolain. (London; New York: T. Nelson, 1937).
- Thomas Pakenham, The Year of Liberty: a history of the great Irish rebellion of 1798. (London: Hodder and Stoughton 1969; 2nd ed. Weidenfeld and Nicholson 1997; reissued 2000).
- Marianne Elliott, Partners in revolution: the United Irishmen and France. (New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press 1982, 1998).
- Marianne Elliott, Wolfe Tone: Prophet of Irish Independence. (New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press 1989).
- Liam Chambers, Rebellion in Kildare, 17981803. (Dublin 1998).
- Ruan O'Donnell, The Rebellion in Wicklow 1798. (Dublin 1998).
- Dáire Keogh and Nicholas Furlong (eds), The Women of 1798. (Dublin 1998).
- T. W. Moody, R. B. McDowell, and C. J. Woods (eds), The writings of Theobald Wolfe Tone, 176398. (Oxford: Clarendon Press; New York: Oxford University Press, 1998).
- C. J. Woods, 'Theobald Wolfe Tone and County Kildare', in: W. Nolan and T. McGrath, Kildare History and Society (Dublin: Geography Press 2006) 387398.
Further reading: A selection
- Thomas Paine, The age of reason, being an investigation of true and fabulous theology (Paris 1794).
- Information from Multitext: http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/The_1798_Rebellion_in_Wexford
The edition used in the digital edition
- Life of Theobald Wolfe Tone. William Theobald Wolfe Tone (ed), First edition [674 pages] Gales and SeatonWashington (1826)
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The present text covers pages 342366 of the volume.
Text proofread twice at CELT.
The electronic text represents the edited text.
Direct speech is tagged q.
Soft hyphens are silently removed. When a hyphenated word (hard or soft) crosses a page-break or line-break, this break is marked after the completion of the hyphenated word.
div0=the whole text; div1=the section (of which there is one); page-breaks are marked.
Dates are standardized in the ISO form yyyy-mm-dd.
Place-names, personal names, and terms are not tagged. Words and phrases from other languages are tagged.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the section.
Created: By Theobald Wolfe Tone Date range: 1 August 1791.
Use of language
Language: [EN] The text is in English.