Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: E640001-001
Orders made and established by the lords [...] at Kilkenny [...] 24th October 1642
Author: The Kilkenny Assembly of 1642
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionR. B. McDowell
Funded by University College, Cork and
Writers of Ireland II Project
1. First draft, revised and corrected.
Electronic edition compiled by Beatrix Färber and Benjamin Hazard
Extent of text: 6670 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2009)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: E640001-001
The electronic edition has been made available with the kind permission of the editor.
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
In May 1642 the catholic prelates, nobles, gentry and clergy met at Kilkenny and set up a supreme council. Summons 'in nature of writs' were sent to the lords spiritual and temporal and to the counties and boroughs. When the persons so summoned met, they issued the orders given below, 'to be observed as the model of their government.' [J. T. Gilbert, History of the Irish confederation and the war in Ireland, vol. 1 p. 112.]
- Gilbert MSS, 219 (Pearse Street Public Library.
- J. T. Gilbert, History of the Irish confederation and the war in Ireland (188291), iii. 12833.
- Richard Cox, Hibernia Anglicana; or the History of Ireland from the Conquest thereof by the English to this present Time. With an Introductory Discourse touching the Ancient State of that Kingdom; and a new and Exact Map of the same, 2 vols. (London: H. Clark and Joseph Watts 168990), appendix, pp. 7578.
- Online Bibliography Irish History Online Project, at http://www.irishhistoryonline.ie/.
Further Reading: a Selection
- Richard Cox, Hibernia Anglicana; or the History of Ireland from the Conquest thereof by the English to this present Time. With an Introductory Discourse touching the ancient State of that Kingdom; and a new and exact Map of the same, 2 vols. (London: H. Clark and Joseph Watts (168990).
- Thomas Carte, Life of James, duke of Ormond (London 1736).
- J. T. Gilbert, History of the Irish confederation and the war in Ireland (Dublin 188289) 3 volumes.
- P. J. Corish, 'Two contemporary historians of the confederation of Kilkenny: John Lynch and Richard O'Ferrall', Irish Historical Studies 8:31 (1953) 21736.
- J. C. Beckett, 'The confederation of Kilkenny reviewed', In: Historical Studies 2, ed. M. Roberts (1959) 2941.
- John Lowe, 'Charles I and the confederation of Kilkenny, 16439', Irish Historical Studies 14:53 (19645), 119.
- D. F. Cregan, 'The confederation of Kilkenny', In: The Irish parliamentary tradition, ed. B. Farrell (Dublin and New York 1973)102115.
- James Brennan, 'Peter Walsh and the Confederation of Kilkenny', Old Kilkenny Review: Journal of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society 4 (1990) 760766.
- Jane H. Ohlmeyer (ed.), Ireland from independence to occupation 16411660 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1995).
- Charles Dillon, 'Cín lae Uí Mhealláin, friar O Meallan journal'. In: Dúiche Néill, 10 (199596) 130207.
- Jane H. Ohlmeyer 'The civil wars in Ireland'. In: John Philipps Kenyon; Jane H. Ohlmeyer (eds.), The civil wars: a military history of England, Scotland, and Ireland 16381660 (Oxford: Oxford University Press 1998) 73102.
- Micheál Ó Siochrú, Confederate Ireland 16421649: a constitutional and political analysis. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 1998.
- Jane H. Ohlmeyer (ed.). Political thought in seventeenth-century Ireland: kingdom or colony. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press in association with the Folger Institute, Washington, DC, 2000.
- Raymond Gillespie, 'Confederate Kilkenny 16421650'. In: John Bradley; Diarmuid Healy; Anne Murphy (ed.), Themes in Kilkenny's history: a selection of lectures from the NUI MaynoothRadio Kilkenny academic lecture series 1999 (Kilkenny 2000) 5767.
- Micheál Ó Siochrú (ed.), Kingdoms in crisis: Ireland in the 1640s. Essays in honour of Donal Crógan (Dublin and Portland (OR) 2001) 252263.
- Micheál Ó Siochrú, 'The Confederates and the Irish wars of the 1640's'. In: Liam Ronayne (ed.), The battle of Scariffhollis 1650 (Letterkenny: Éagráin Dhún na nGall, 2001) 715.
- Pádraig Lenihan, Confederate Catholics at War 164149, Cork: Cork University Press, 2001.
- Tadhg Ó hAnnracháin, 'Conflicting Loyalties, Conflicted Rebels: Political and Religious Allegiance among the Confederate Catholics of Ireland', English Historical Review, 119:483 (2004) 851872.
- Kevin Myers, 'Mallow under siege 1642', Mallow Field Club Journal 26 (2008) 3956.
The edition used in the digital edition
- Irish Historical Documents 11721922. Edmund Curtis and R. B. McDowell (ed), First [1 volume; ix + 311 pp] Barnes & Noble London and New York (1943; reprinted 1968)
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
This text covers pp. 148158. Editorial footnotes are retained. The editor has omitted some sections in the hard copy, which is reflected in the section numbering.
Text has been proofed twice and parsed using NSGMLS.
The electronic text represents the edited text. Editorial corrections are encoded as such.
There is no direct speech.
When a hyphenated word (and subsequent punctuation mark) crosses a line break, the break is marked after the completion of the hyphenated word.
div0=the whole text, div1=the section; page-breaks are marked pb n=""/.
Names and terms are not tagged.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the section.
Created: By deputies of the Assembly at Kilkenny
Use of language
Language: [EN] The text has been rendered in Modern English.
Language: [FR] Some words are in French.
Language: [LA] Some words are in Latin.