Select Bibliography of John O'Donovan
by Donnchadh Ó Corráin
Return to O'Donovan chronology
- (ed. & tr.), `The circuit of Muircheartach mac Neill',
in Tracts relating to Ireland i (Dublin 1841)
- `Origin and meaning of Irish family names', Ir Penny J
1 no 41 (Apr 10 1841) 326-28; 42 (Apr 17) 330-32; 46 (May 15)
365-66; 48 (May 29) 381-84; 50 (June 12) 396-98; 51 (June 19)
405-07; 52 (June 26) 413-15.
- (ed. & tr.), The banquet of Dun na nGedh and the Battle
of Magh Rath (Dublin 1842)
- (ed. & tr.), The tribes and customs of Hy Many
- (ed. & tr.), The genealogies, tribes and customs of
Hy Fiachrach (Dublin 1844)
- A grammar of the Irish language (Dublin 1845)
- `An ancient poem attributed to St Columbkille' Miscellany
of the Irish Archæological Society (Dublin 1846) 1-15
- `Autograph letter of Thady O'Roddy', Miscellany of the
Irish Archæological Society (Dublin 1846) 112-25
- `The Irish charters in the Book of Kells', Miscellany of
the Irish Archæological Society (Dublin 1846) 127-57
- `Covenant between Mageoghagan and the Fox, with brief historical
notes on the two families', Miscellany of the Irish Archæological
Society (Dublin 1846) 179-97
- `The Annals of Ireland from the year 1443 to 1468 translated
from the Irish by Dudley Firbisse', Miscellany of the Irish
Archæological Society (Dublin 1846) 198-
- (ed. & tr.), Leabhar na gCeart or the Book of Rights
- (ed), Miscellany of the Celtic Society (Dublin 1849)
- (ed. & tr.), The tribes and territory of ancient Ossory
- `Inauguration of Cathal Crobhdhearg, king of Connaught', J
Kilkenny Archaeol Soc 2 (1853) 335
- `Letter of Florence MacCarthy to the earl of Thomond on the
ancient history of Ireland', J Kilkenny Archaeol Soc
ns 1 (1856) 203-229
- `On the elegy of Erard MacCoise, chief chronicler of the Gaels
over the tomb of Fergal O'Ruairc, chief of Brefny at Clonmacnoise',
J Kilkenny Archaeol Soc ns 1 (1857) 341-56
- `The registry of Clonmacnoise', J Kilkenny Archaeol Soc
ns 1 (1857) 444-60
- `Original letters in the Irish and Latin languages by Shane
O'Neill' and `Proclamation of Hugh's treason against Elizabeth',
Ulster J Archaeol ser 1 5 (1857) 259-73
- `Extract from the journal of Thomas Dineley, Esq., giving
some account of his visits to Ireland in the reign of Charles
II', J Kilkenny Archaeol Soc ns 2 (1858) 22-32
- `Military proclamation in the Irish language issued by Hugh
O'Neill of Tyrone in 1601', Ulster J Archaeol ser1 6
- `Errors of Edmund Spenser on Irish surnames', Ulster J
Archaeol ser1 6 (1858) 135
- `Irish correspondence of James FitzMaurice of Desmond', J
Kilkenny Archaeol Soc ns 2 (1859) 354-69
- Annals of Ireland: three fragments (Dublin 1860)
- `The Fomorians and Lochlans pedigrees of MacCabe of Ireland
and MacLeod of Scotland', Ulster J Archaeol ser1 9 (1861)
- (tr) & Todd, James Henthorn Todd & Reeves, William
(ed), The martyrology of Donegal (Dublin 1864)
- The topographical poems of O'Dubhagain and O'Huidrin
- Letters by John O'Donovan preserved in the Ordnance Survey,
Phoenix Parks [now in National Archives] together with autobiographical
notes [unpublished, 9pp]
Biographical Notices of John O'Donovan
- anon, `The late John O'Donovan', Dublin University Magazine
59 (Jan 1862) 85-88.
- anon, `Short life of the late John O'Donovan', Duffy's
Hibernian Magazine 1/1 (January 1862) 106-14.
- anon, Life and labours of John O'Donovan LLD, reprinted
as a pamphlet from Dublin Review 51 (May 1862) 359-78
- anon, Obituary of John O'Donovan, J Roy Soc Antiq Ire
7 (1862-63) 3.
- Patrick Boyle, `John O'Donovan at Oxford', Ir Ecclesiast
Rec 32 (1912) 113-17.
- Patricia Boyne, John O'Donovan (1806-1861): a biography
(Kilkenny: Boethius 1987).
- William Carrigan, `Entries relating to John O'Donovan and
his immediate relatives from the registers of the formerly united
parishes of Slieverue and Glenmore, County Kilkenny', J Roy
Soc Antiq Ire 45 (1915) 167-69.
- Arthur P. Cleary, Queen's Colleges in Ireland (Dublin
- T. J. Clohosey, `John O'Donovan', Old Kilkenny Rev
14 (1962) 5-15.
- Helena Concannon, `John O'Donovan and the Annals of the Four
Masters', Studies [Dublin] 37 (1948) 300-07.
- [Bráthair Críostamhail], Síoladóirí,
i. Eoghan Ó Comhraidhe agus Seán Ó Donnabháin
- Henry Dixon, `John O'Donovan', An Leabharlann 2/1 (1906)
- Henry Dixon & Donal O'Connor (ed), `Letters written by
John O'Donovan containing information relative to antiquities
of the county of Down during the progress of the Ordnance Survey
in 1834', An Leabharlann 3/1 (1909), supplement.
- Lady Mary Ferguson, Life of the Right Rev. William Reeves
- Lady Mary Ferguson, Sir Samuel Ferguson in the Ireland
of his day (London & Edinburgh 1896).
- Thomas Flannery, `John O'Donovan', Denvir's Monthly Irish
Library 12 (Dec. 1902) 1-24.
- Sir John Gilbert, `Ancient Irish historical manuscripts',
Dublin Review 100 (1861).
- Brendan Jennings, The Four Masters: Michael O Cleirigh
and his associates (Dublin 1936).
- Eugene O'Curry, Statement of O'Curry on the translation of
the ancient laws of Ireland, J National Lit Soc Ire 1/3
- John O'Donovan, Copy of a letter written by John O'Donovan
to Dr J. H. Todd giving an account of his early life, J Roy
Soc Antiq Ire 16 (1883-84) 347-49.
- John O'Donovan, Sixteen letters from John O'Donovan to J.
W. Hanna, written from 1846 t0 1857, An Leabharlann 2/2
(March 1907) 140-83.
- E. de hÓir, Seán Ó Donnabháin
agus Eoghan Ó Comhraí (Dublin 1962).
- Colm Ó Lochlainn, `John O'Donovan and the Four Masters'
[reprint of the prospectus of O'Donovan's original edition,
with a note], Irish Book Lover 29 (May 1943) 4-8.
- Colm Ó Lochlainn, `John O'Donovan and Colonel Larcom',
Irish Book Lover 39 (Nov. 1945) 122-24.
- W. A. Seymour (ed), A history of the Ordnance Survey
- Michael Tierney, `Eugene O'Curry and the Irish tradition',
Studies [Dublin] 51 (1962) 449-62.
- R. de Valera, `Seán Ó Donnabháin agus
lucht a chúnta', J Roy Soc Antiq Ire 79 (1949)
Bibliography created by Prof. Donnchadh Ó Corráin,
Department of History, University College Cork.
Rendered into HTML by Margaret Lantry, UCC.